Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

advise wanted

patrick2wd

as mentioned before, Im looking to buy a HZJ70 (ish) kinda..

what are particular things to look at?
engine,
drivetrain
chassis
carossery
etc?

as I cant post any images yet I cant show you the model I have in mind,
anyway, Its a 1992 model, short with the 4.2 litre n/a diesel engine.

thoughts
as it seems now, the car is very basic.
(as any HZJ)

UzE3nFq8SK1M0rp85sOH5A==.jpg

this is the car I have in mind..

dispred1 disco 1 399 ex btw euro.jpgdislowpre d1 450.jpg

even better...yeah I know.. LR's.. but its just as an example..
these were made/ sold by a company in/ near Newcastle..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks great Patrick. :clap:

Is it standard?

Never seen one with the high roof like that before.

Have you driven it?

Must be fairly fast on acceleration having that 4.2 in such a small light truck. :think:

Regarding the bumper I think youve got 3 options.

1. Buy a landrover one and adapt it to fit.

2. Make one your self.

3. Pay some one to make you one. :icon-cool:

Is it standard?

Never seen one with the high roof like that before.
we have in Holland special taxes for "business" cars,
there are no rear seats in this model and for business use there must fit a TAX package in the "cargo" hold..
hence the "high roof"

Have you driven it?
not yet....

Must be fairly fast on acceleration having that 4.2 in such a small light truck. :eusa-think:
dont know, must be honest, not looking for a "fast" car.. must be able to tow some boats, is capable of pulling 3 tons..

It looks great Patrick. :eusa-clap:Regarding the bumper I think youve got 3 options.

1. Buy a landrover one and adapt it to fit.

2. Make one your self.

3. Pay some one to make you one. :icon-cool:

Hmmmmmm.. tips.. advise?
who builds them (winch bumpers) in the UK?
had a LR disco2 until 2 years ago.. too b*****y expensive...

hope this would last a bit longer..
what about tires?

any examples?

okay,
the 1HZ is a good engine but to pull 6000 lbs you will need trailer brakes. the factory were never designed for that tow rate.
i usually recommend 3500 lbs max to my customers who want to buy HZJ7* vehicles.
check the oil pressure and take for a drive, it should run very quiet but not very powerful. the 1HZ is rated for 135 hp but is a dog engine when naturally asperated, once you turbo it, it becomes very powerful, very strong and a true joy to drive.
fuel economy, depending on your right foot, will be between 10l/100 and 14l/100.
the 1HZ is a very good engine, very reliable, very few issues. if you are going to turbo the engine then make sure you replace the BEB. they share the composition with the HDT bearings which are prone to delaminating.
if in good shape you will be very happy with the truck

car starts without any hassle...
no smoke @ start, looks pretty good..
What is the interval for the bearings? 350K (km's)?about 250K miles..?
not sure if I ever will fit a turbo..

anyway.. looks all very promising...

We had a 1986 HZJ75 at work in Australia that was at about 460,000km; the only work it ever had done was a service every couple of months (normally 5-10k km) and any other bits as needed.

It still ran fine, and would pull a tri axle horse float or the boss's boat with ease up (or down) the 3km dirt road that was the work drive. Because the trailers in Aus have manual electric brakes most of the big 4x4's and utes over there have a brake controller in them, you can apply a bit of brake to the trailer whilst using engine braking on the towcar, which is how I tended to do it.

We'd get about 100-110km on the flat with it, and it was happy all day at that; it's biggest problem was that it rarely got off site (and therefore out of 2nd or 3rd gear) so when it did, I tended to run it higher up in the rev range to clean the engine out Italian style!

With the slight high-top is that why things like the old Volvo 145 Expresses (if you know those) and the AstraMax van have the higher roofs?

Does it have the HD 70 axles, or the Bundera Spec ones? I know our FJ73 had the HD ones, but from what I could gather the 74 had the Bundera spec.

We had a 1986 HZJ75 at work in Australia that was at about 460,000km; the only work it ever had done was a service every couple of months (normally 5-10k km) and any other bits as needed.

It still ran fine, and would pull a tri axle horse float or the boss's boat with ease up (or down) the 3km dirt road that was the work drive. Because the trailers in Aus have manual electric brakes most of the big 4x4's and utes over there have a brake controller in them, you can apply a bit of brake to the trailer whilst using engine braking on the towcar, which is how I tended to do it.

We'd get about 100-110km on the flat with it, and it was happy all day at that; it's biggest problem was that it rarely got off site (and therefore out of 2nd or 3rd gear) so when it did, I tended to run it higher up in the rev range to clean the engine out Italian style!

With the slight high-top is that why things like the old Volvo 145 Expresses (if you know those) and the AstraMax van have the higher roofs?

Does it have the HD 70 axles, or the Bundera Spec ones? I know our FJ73 had the HD ones, but from what I could gather the 74 had the Bundera spec.

the volvo 145 ekspress (= swedish) was a purpose build vehicle,
if you check this link: click you can see different mods to accommodate almost any vehicle to fit our (STUPID) tax laws,
as an exaplme: a double cabin pick up, to be run as a commercial vehicle, must have a high roof in the cabin and an extended loading area:
IMG_6248-border.JPG
which looks silly, stupid and costs loads of money to get it all done..

anyway,

I have no Idea what axle's under the HZJ, were leaf spring for what I can see..
been looking around for some ideas for a winch bumper..
bull winch bumper.jpg
found this to be interesting... only I would have the tubes on the L&R with sheet metal..

IMG_0244.jpg
Just a little pic of my 70 with the "Shadow" bumper fitted.
Originally designed for a defender 90, modified to fit the cruiser.
Bought mine from "FirstFour offroad"

Attachments

• bumper small.JPG
    bumper small.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 151
I have had my bumper (for HZJ75) custom built by Auto Connections (google autoconnections.nl) - it's prepared for a winch but no money (winch) yet. They probably can help you out with the whole package you're looking for including suspension and winch.

Last edited:
okay,
the 1HZ is a good engine but to pull 6000 lbs you will need trailer brakes. the factory were never designed for that tow rate.
i usually recommend 3500 lbs max to my customers who want to buy HZJ7* vehicles.
Wayne, there are 2 trailer weight categories that cars can tow in the EU, braked and unbaked. Depending on the vehicle max unbraked weight is usually between 500kg to 750kg so it's safe to assume all trailers over 750kg will have brakes.

depending on the weight of the pulling vehicle max un-braked weight of a trailer = 750 kg, but if your car is small (as a peug 107) than its (IMO) only 250 kg..

but a HZJ can/ is allowed to pull 5000 kg if fitted with pneumatic brakes..

back 2 topic... :whistle:

Back