Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alarm going off randomly when driving

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
The alarm on my colorado has stater going off when I'm driving, very annoying and when it happens I can't stop it, it just stops itself randomly as well. Haveing all doors closed properly and windows closed won't stop it, pressing the 2 buttons on the fob thing I have doesn't stop it. Obviously, turning the engine off doesn't stop it.

I was hoping it was a one off event and would never do it again having first sone this 1 evening last week, but done it another evening and again today in town which was bit embarrassing.
What's the most likely cause of this, dodgey wire somewhere or sensor?

Not sure where to even start looking at alarms, half thinking it's easier to just disable it, but how do I do that? Disconnect the siren?

As far as I'm aware its the standard Toyota alarm, can anyone describe how to disable it, or just disable the noise at least as it's desperate loud. Is there just 1 siren, I'm guessing I can't just remove a fuse. If I find the brain and unplug connectors will that disable it or will that affect the immobiliser too. Very annoying.

Theres a security button the bonnet presses when it closes and its mounted on a very flimsy bracket , iirc and i'm not sure i do its in the top drivers side corner of the engine bay , or else the other side ?

Cheers, I checked for that sensor this evening and found it, it's at the top on drivers side, it looks in good condition bracket-wise anyway.

I guess, next time it goes off, I'll open the bonnet and press that sensor by hand to see if alarm stops. I think it is making good contact with the bonnet though, but the sensor itself could be faulty I suppose.

If its making contact its probably good i only mentioned it because its easy to lean on the bracket and bend it without noticing .

The alarm is there to prevent theft so it should be dormant while driving :think: how heavy is your keyring , could be wiggling the ignition .

My key ring is light, this alarm issue had seemed to stop by itself for a wk or so but it's back doing it now, going off whilst driving, cutting in and out, fookin head wrecking at this stage. Can anyone tell me where the sirens are so I can just cut it out, I don't need / want the alarm where I live.

I checked in the rear quarters above in the mudguards on the interior but can't find it, I think its there on the newer lwb models.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I found the siren earlier this evening and disconnected it. Peace at last.

Low battery, alternator fault possibly, alarm is seeing the drop in voltage as interference?

Back