Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator help....

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
I know this isn't a Landcruiser..... but same principle

My alternator has started behaving oddly. At first this was only with indicators as per video, but on trip back from Wales, after about half hour driving (when the engine was warm ) it began to do the very same with no indicators running. When I switched on lights it mimicked this behaviour, and when I turned on the fuel transfer pump the alternator needle fell to zero and stuck there until turned off.

The alternator output does not fluctuate during this behaviour, so I assume its a pulse problem with the exciter wire.

It's a new 100amp Alternator.

I have Led lights/bulbs/ballasts.

Grounds are all good.

Anyone have any ideas??

Afraid I can't help with the alternator Olazz, its all black magic as far as I'm concerned..... but only the other day I was wondering how your truck build was going. Is it finished yet?

How about some photos?!?!?!?!? Go on...

Depends on where the tacho is getting it's signal from.....
Is it picking up a pulse from the W terminal on the alternator or is it getting a signal from a crankshaft speed sensor ?
The exciter wire wouldn't be used to supply a signal to the tacho.....it's purely there to energise the field in the alternator..it shouldn't be back feeding a signal anywhere .
I would wonder if it's not an issue in the dash cluster

Back