Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator issues?

Indie, you’re a star.
Ok, there is no heat shield on the alternator or above it, I've just done about 20 miles with everything on heaters lights etc and the alternator is only slightly warm.. same after a fair run with nothing on just the radio.. have you tried another pair of batteries if you have had them tested and their ok try another set anyway I've had good tests on knackered batteries. Otherwise it sounds like a wiring fault somewhere. Also make sure the connections on the alternator are a good fit and in good condition. Hope this helps

Back to this issue today!!! Can any other hundie owners out there confirm if they have a heat shield bolted to the alternator or directly above??? Also can you comfortably touch it after a long run??? I’ve never not been able to diagnose an issue, but with no other identical trucks that I know of over here I think I’ve been beaten on this one.
Just found this, have you seen this site before? https://www.electronics-cooling.com...s-in-automotive-alternator-power-electronics/

Good Luck.

P.S no heat shield on my 2004 either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, it’s what I expected to be honest. The old batteries checked out fine, but I replaced them anyway to take them out of the equation. Hey ho, back to the drawing board. (Strange thing is if I drive around like an old woman it’s perfect)

(Strange thing is if I drive around like an old woman it’s perfect)

I’d say this more or less confirms it’s heat soak from the engine. Diesels generate very little heat at idle and light load unlike petrol engines which can reach full operating temperature just left to idle. JMO

I gave this some more time today, I removed and inspected all piping from turbo to intercooler and back to intake (As it is routed next to the alternator). All pipe work and clips perfect. Removed loom from alternator to inspect plugs and connections, all perfect. Removed and cleaned all earth’s from body, engine and chassis. All perfect. Replaced viscous fan with new ( Because I had one). Went for a nice 20 minute run, alternator temperature up to 37 degrees (perfect). Then drove home like it was stolen, temperature up to 70 degrees (certainly to hot to touch).

I gave this some more time today, I removed and inspected all piping from turbo to intercooler and back to intake (As it is routed next to the alternator). All pipe work and clips perfect. Removed loom from alternator to inspect plugs and connections, all perfect. Removed and cleaned all earth’s from body, engine and chassis. All perfect. Replaced viscous fan with new ( Because I had one). Went for a nice 20 minute run, alternator temperature up to 37 degrees (perfect). Then drove home like it was stolen, temperature up to 70 degrees (certainly to hot to touch).
So looks like this artical is right. https://www.electronics-cooling.com...s-in-automotive-alternator-power-electronics/

Theres not much else you can check or replace.

So dare I say, at my peril, perhaps, your over thinking it a little bit now.

BTW, did you put (just for good mesure) some electrical insulating compound (grease) on the conections, I use Dow Corning DC4 electrical compound on all electrical conections.

Good Luck.

IMG_1679.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know what you’re saying, if the last alternator hadn’t gone up in smoke I wouldn’t be so paranoid. Yes all connections were lubed previously, looks like it’s an extinguisher and a 10mm spanner in the boot then.

I know what you’re saying, if the last alternator hadn’t gone up in smoke I wouldn’t be so paranoid. Yes all connections were lubed previously, looks like it’s an extinguisher and a 10mm spanner in the boot then.
Yes, I know what your saying, once bitten twice shy, belt and braces.

Back