Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

am i in trouble ???

markcann26

Country Flag
uk
so yesterday I decided to change the ATF fluid
I drained 10 litres and refilled with new

the truck has 194k miles on the clock and the previous owner said he'd never changed it

the fluid was very brown maybe black in a different light and there was a few bits of swarf in the old oil

any way after driving 15 miles or so it does seem alot smother with the gear changes and everything seems to be working properly i can select all gears and it goes through the gears much better than it did

but I've read horror stotories of people losing gears and different auto boxes (mainly american)
and the clutch plates letting go

so my question is am I on borrowed time

chees guys
landcruiser 100 series 4.2 auto year 2000

What's the problem, exactly? It sounds like everything is hunky-dory, but how could you drain 10 litres?
Did you drop the pan? If there were actually bits in the fluid, it does indicate some abnormal wear.
The gearbox could last another 194 k miles, or at least half of that is expected. And then it can be rebuilt, depending on the condition. The 442 box benefits from a good synthetic atf.

You say changing the fluid has improved things so Amen to that. Metallic bits in the fluid obviously isn't normal at any mileage. The lack of regular ATF changes will probably have increased wear and possibly shortened the box's life but it's impossible to say for definite or by how much. Given the cost and effort of removing and stripping or changing the box I'd settle for what you've got, a box in perfect working order.

I dont have any problems but I've heard if changing out really old fluid for new can do more harm than good

You say changing the fluid has improved things so Amen to that. Metallic bits in the fluid obviously isn't normal at any mileage. The lack of regular ATF changes will probably have increased wear and possibly shortened the box's life but it's impossible to say for definite or by how much. Given the cost and effort of removing and stripping or changing the box I'd settle for what you've got, a box in perfect working order.
yeah of course i was just worried about destroying the gear box but after another run in it today it all seems to be fine

I’ve read similar articles about ATF changes “doing harm”, but from what I understand, the boxes that suffer were on their last legs anyway, or the components that failed were, at any rate.

It’s physically impossible for fresh fluid to do damage, but it may show up wear that the old fluid was masking.

If your box is functioning as intended, it looks like you’re on a winner, it’s more likely that if there’s any problems, they would have shown up straight away.

JMHO of course

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mark ATF fluids depending on usage I.e towing and climate should be changed every 40,000-60,000km on normal conditions so I’m told.

It’s important to change the filter and having old oil check the magnets for any metal filings.

Would suggest keeping an eye on your oil condition and if the colour changes then it’s worth changes the ATF oil again and consider this was a flush out.

Last edited:
The boxes are pretty stout, I wouldn't worry about it. Just change the fluid more regularly going forward

Back