Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am i loosing it?

Hi you. Need to nip that in the bud or get help quickly from Tony.

if there's a reliability question between a LR and an LC my wallet will in it, or should that be lose it :lol:

LR90 total rebuild on galv chassis cost £7k, +£2.5K in repairs & upgrades (4k miles, c.2k offroad) resale £7k if I'm lucky
LC80 overland prepped cost £14k +£8k in repairs & upgrades (9k miles, 4k off road) resale £18k if I'm lucky

the 90 needs a wheel bearing and it's finished <£20, the LC has a wishlist of stuff to do >£3k before it's finished

you pays yer money, you takes yer choice, but still, I prefer the LC by miles :lol:

My experience talking to the old boys when working at the plant in Solihull, was anything before '69 was worth having.

Anything LR from '70 onwards is laced with chocolate.

I was there in the early '80s and we were getting numerous letters of praise from owners who had trucks dating back to '49.

One Indian fella wrote to us saying he had an ex-mining LR which had railway wheels on it when he bought it. He sent us a photo, it was battered to hell, but he'd re-converted it for road use (cheaply) and he'd been running it trouble free for years.

LR (or more accurately BL) only have themselves to blame for the demise of LR reliability, which as we know is real, not just LC owner rhetoric.

JMHO and that of hundreds of old timers at the factory.

It will suffer more from lack of use but so would a hilux or anything else , better the devil you know than the devil you don't and stick with what you've got i'd say .

Reactions: Sag
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It will suffer more from lack of use but so would a hilux or anything else , better the devil you know than the devil you don't and stick with what you've got i'd say .
yes i think i will but you can understand my dilemma.the 95 is far too good to be relegated to no MOT/off road only shagger.....A mate has been trying to sell me an old tractor for years doesnt want much but i checked our the price of tractor tyres..... the next idea was a quad bike with a trailer.....but again prices for something thats not a "project" for now im keeping the LC but looking to the future maybe it would be cheaper to build a bridge & fix our track & buy a rav4 i dunno ?
Image1006.jpg

A dilemma indeed i suppose it depends on what you might get for the collie , nothing gained if it doesn't leave something in your pocket and right or wrong the peace of mind from having a solid dependable truck is worth a few quid all on its own even if its to be off road only .

i dont think it will have any major problem Shayne , just that with racking up the miles thing wear out.
Better to have a part wear out than break or fall off.

Just about every time Lynn and I do a longish trip we often see a Land Rover broken down at the side of the road. It's become a bit of a travel game.

How about a Mule?

image.jpeg
I have and love my 93 KZJ Prado
image.jpeg
but in 1994 I had a free trip to SA for a gathering of us blokes who looked after rugby in the old colonies.We were guests of the SA rugby board and had 4 days at the Sabisabi resort in Kruger Park.Our transport on the game tours were 109 Landrovers and the Rangers swore by them.I said that Toyotas were getting very popular in NZ and the answer was if these things break down any idiot can fix them on the spot.
some photos of it.I'm 2nd left front row

Better to have a part wear out than break or fall off.

Just about every time Lynn and I do a longish trip we often see a Land Rover broken down at the side of the road. It's become a bit of a travel game.

How about a Mule?
yes mules & donkeys have been discussed at length but they need to eat 365 days a year.also you need a pair as one on its own gets depressed.you cannot just chuck a tarp over a mule untill you need it.....

Reactions: Pat
Very true, can be hard to get going in the morning (even worse than a LR) and push starting can be somewhat perilous. I had a pair of donkeys here for ages, given to me when their previous keeper got ill. The jack was a pleasant natured beast, but the jenny was prone to bloody mindedness . They came with a pair of panniers, but they were not liked and both animals would refuse to move with them on, no amount of cajoling, tempting with food or threats of unbridled violence would shift them once they’d seemingly bolted themselves to the ground

Got to agree with you there Shayne,sold my Lc for a Volvo full Volvo history engine blows up on way home due to it putting diesel in with the oil some how,landcruiser (my Bertha )never a problem and a hell of a lot more miles by far.

Back