Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am I mad.......

essexgary

Hi All
Mr Newbie alert....... Stand well back and light touch paper when ready....

Anyway, I digress. Hello everyone. I am currently a Prius driver and a Ford Maverick Driver. Well someone has to be. I have been given the chance to trade in my 08 prius and 95 maverick for an 05 Land Cruiser LC5.

Am I mad to be considering this move. I drove one yesterday and loved it. The comfort the space the size. But the nly thing that niggles me is that I will be going for an older car. It has done less milage than my prius so thats a bonus. But with my budget I cant go for anything newer. Plus dont fancy paying the high VED on a newer model.

So whats your views, How much do you like your car. SHould I join the club??

Cheers
Gary

Welcome, firstly!

And it depends entirely on the history of the LC5 you're considering, who the seller is, what maintenance has been done and what you want to do with it .... Is it to be a daily drive / commuter or just a weekend wagon?? Lots of questions - I have an LC5 and love it, but wouldn't necessarily like to drive it every day (well, not in it's current configuration anyway - it doesn't fit into any parking garages ... :) )

Have a look through some of the 120 threads to give you an idea of what can go wrong - not a heck of a lot yet, except issues really on caliper seals and injectors - maintenance will fix those, but if it goes bangit will be costly :thumbdown:

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary

Its going to be my daily drive of a 32mile round trip. parking not an issue. Not off roading, but likely to lug a few bits here and there. nothing drastic.

Its a main dealer car and as far as Im awear its full service history. will come with a 12 month warrenty, but will be looking to try and extend it another year or 2 hopefully.

Gary

As Gary says, depends on what you want to use it for. We have a 55 plate 120, had it from new, and it's a daily commute vehicle. Wife loves it almost as much as me, comfortable to drive and apart from regular servicing, it has not cost us anything extra. Ok, it now has a very slow leak from the water pump which I need to get fixed, had a quote of £400 from Mr T, so that is the first non maintenance cost over the last 5 years... not bad if you ask me.

Oh and my VED is £245 or thereabouts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh the one thing that I did get done whilst under the 3 year warrantee, was to get the wheels replaced as they did deteriorate in all the gritting and salt.... so if you are getting it from the dealer check for corrosion and if any get them to do it under warrantee.

No you're not mad, you've driven a Cruiser and seen the light, join the club immediately and be saved, anybody who has driven a Prius (spawn of the Devil :twisted: ) and a blue oval (nearly as bad as a green oval) deserves all our sympathy. Join our happy band and put you're mistakes behind you, a repentant sinner is a saint in our eyes.
BTW I seem to remember reading somewhere that taking the manufacture and disposal into account that a Pruis has a bigger carbon footprint than a Cruiser, so you will be saving the planet too :thumbup:

essexgary said:
Yes it's from Mr T. Priced at 22k

:shock: That does sound a bit expensive. If I recall correctly the LC5's were about £34k new, so you may want to do a bit of research on that price...

The price is actully just a fraction under dealer guide in all the books (parkers etc) dont have access to Glasses (thats if it still around).

05 plated, 30k miles, £22k. silver TC5. I cant find another dealer Land Cruiser with that price and with the age and mileage for that money. evan eBay motors at silly money for whats being offered.

Gary

:o £22k. For an '05 LC5? :o :o :o Unless it has about 5 miles on the clock tell them to get stuffed. No more than high teens at the very most and only then if it is absolutely perfect. The dealer ones do have a price premium but that's having a laugh. Haggle and haggle hard. They hold values well but the dealers need to move them and big thirsty motors can be slow to sell. Hit them with an £18k offer and see what happens. For £22k money you'll soon be able to get a used 150 (120 replacement that is currently way too expensive for most mere mortals) series.....

I had a LC5 till it was smashed in the winter and written off. :thumbdown: You'll like it. I did. First time I ever had a motor in 20+ years that I wanted the same one again, no question. Unfortunately, for now, I couldn't affort to replace it like for like. If it's the newer 5sp auto (6 sp manual) model, the few older model gremlins will not be an issue and you should have a damn fine motor.

WTF!!!

Is it gold plated??

I bought mine in 2008 with 10 days of the original warranty left with 23k on the odometer and not a mark on it for less than that - from Mr T. With another year warranty etc.

Methinks they are trying to fleece you. I can't believe that's a current price?? Flabbergasted!!

Have you had a look at the used car search on the Toyota website to see other indicative pricing?

Cheers

I have been through the whole toyota stock. and given my budget, and wanting low mileage this car is the best of the lot.

Couple of things to consider. 1, you'll probably never go back to a car. 2. Your missus will steal it until you buy her one. 3. Hers will inevitably need to be newer than yours! I have a 98 lc90, she is up to an 06 lexus rx300 ! All because I bought a shogun all those years ago!

I would say that if you are happy with the deal, go for it. T are usually good on the warranty side of things.

Gotta ask, why did you buy a Prius ? Up until recently THE most un-environmentally friendly car on the planet!

Oh, if you have kids, remember you are buying a removals truck!

Oh, if you have kids, remember you are buying a removals truck!

Yes, lots of space in the cavernous boot. (Not too hot though when 8 seats are in use). I didn't use the rearmost seats that often and usually left them in the garage.

I don't actually think it is that far over priced considering its from a mr T dealer. I think there has been a rise in the used price of 4x4's because of bad weather, exchange rates pound falling, cost of a new lc5 being around 50k (i know its the 150 now but!) has all resulted in an increase in value. I have seen an 06 invincible for 24k at arnold clark and another for 24k at a mr t dealer, an 07 invincible for 26 k also at mr t.
If they are in poor condition you will get it cheaper.
If you want A1 like i did last year, then your hand will be in your pocket.

Of course it depends on what deal you are being offered on your current cars, because the price is not really 22k, but the value of your cars + any difference. If you are getting a good trade in value it may be worth that 22k. If you were a cash buyer i think you may get it for around 20k ish.

There are stacks of them in Autotrader for £15k plus. No way a dealer can justify that price. Even with a bullet proof warranty.

Back