Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An easy drain & refill of auto transmission fluid and now it won't upshift to overdrive.

gregdawg89

Country Flag
united_states
This is strange. I did a simple drain and refill (drain plug only - did not drop the pan) of my 1998 JDM LC100 VX (HDJ101K) and now it doesn't seem to want to up-shift into overdrive on the freeway. At 60-65 mph (~105 km/hr) I'm seeing 2100 RPM, when previously it was around 1400 RPM in that scenario. (This is for the 4.2L 1HD-FTE turbo diesel; hence the lower RPMs).

The transmission fluid levels are spot on at the top mark of both the cold & hot ranges on the dipstick. Not over or under-filled, in other words. The transmission worked perfectly before this simple drain & refill so I'm mystified as to what could be happening.

Any ideas? Any other 1HD-FTE owners out there? If so, what RPMs are you seeing at freeway speeds?

2100 rpm at 60 mph sounds right, or maybe a bit low. 1400 at 60 mph would mean a serious up-gearing from stock.

2100 rpm at 60 mph sounds right, or maybe a bit low. 1400 at 60 mph would mean a serious up-gearing from stock.

[/URL]
Hmm... you may be right, in that I am only going by memory what I "think" the RPMs were at highway speeds, and maybe I'm remembering wrong. I've never owned a diesel before and it seems to me that this 1HD-FTE runs at a lot lower RPMs than, say, the 4.7L petrol engine would at the same speeds. What would be ideal is if another 1HD-FTE diesel Land Cruiser owner could tell me what RPMs they see at highway speeds.

I've got a proper gearbox in my jacked up running 3" mud tyres 24 valve 80 series 4.2 TD and in 5th gear i usually travel at 70mph around 2200rpm .

Lower rpm is why all industrial applications use diesel motors rather than petrol

From my own daily experience, running at 100-110km/h on highway is usually at around 2,100 rpm. My rig is a 1998 4.2 diesel 1HD-FTE (HDJ101K) also a JDM model, with over 280k KM now. So, I think that is just about right.

From my own daily experience, running at 100-110km/h on highway is usually at around 2,100 rpm. My rig is a 1998 4.2 diesel 1HD-FTE (HDJ101K) also a JDM model, with over 280k KM now. So, I think that is just about right.
Thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back