Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An interesting watch for 4x4 traverlers

Interesting and very well explained. Good find.

Yep, I agree with him, I'm definitely not designed for the cold,
and that closing quote. . . my god!

Last edited:
Very interesting, how many of us could survive in what we could dragout the vehicle while it burned, especially if combined with an accident? Survival grab bag seems a very good idea, preferable accessible from the front seats.

yeah, I've been giving the grab bag idea a lot thought, even if the car gets stuck, just need a rucksack to grab with some basics, shelter, food, 1st aid.

I'm looking forward part 2.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The prep'ers in the US have a few things to say about a grab bag too. Some,of course, think of the truck as prep grab bag stage 1 :)

When we are on the road, every member has their own grab bag. Very much personal focused. I need to better manage some serious emergency stuff though.

The prep'ers in the US have a few things to say about a grab bag too. Some,of course, think of the truck as prep grab bag stage 1 :)

When we are on the road, every member has their own grab bag. Very much personal focused. I need to better manage some serious emergency stuff though.
the preppers grab bag is a little less logical and a lot more delusional though!!

It wasn't a trip situation and I can't pretend it's anything like experiencing -60 but New Year before last we were going to a do at a restaurant about 20 minutes walk from our apartment, so we decided a taxi wasn't necessary, and to walk it.

I was dressed in a suit for the occasion, scarf and a good overcoat. My wife was dolled up but she had the sense to carry tippy heels in her bag and wear boots, a good coat, scarf and hat. I also had a woolly hat that came over my ears and we had gloves on, it was -24C.

We set off at about 9:00 pm at a brisk pace, and it was quite enjoyable, dry, frozen snow on the ground, clear night, lovely really, going through the park...
for the first 5 minutes.

As we were approaching the middle of the second five minutes, we found ourselves saying to each other, wow, it's cold isn't it? We upped the pace and pressed on an at about 15 minutes we were both complaining of seriously cold fingers, ears, and noses.

By the time we got there, I was starting to be worried. We were ok of course, but it's so easy to think it's only 20 minutes, but that can be the difference between life and death (or serious injury) if you're not equipped. We certainly weren't, in the clothes we had on for occasion.

I also had a shock when skiing one time, wearing the usual winter gear, neck warmer, thick over-ear ski hat, several layers, the obvious. We were at 2,300m and -16C but with a howling wind. Bloody hell, my chin and the top of my throat went numb, despite a warm scarf and the neck warmer, and a high-zip ski jacket, the wind was going straight through them.

After that, it was 3 days before the feeling came back properly to my chin and lower jaw.

Cold injuries come on quickly, and they are usually permanent. I didnt get frostbite, but I'm sure I came close to it, medics here have commented that given my description, I was very close. Losing a finger would be one thing, but burns to the lower jaw area may have been life threatening, and certainly massively disfiguring and life-changing.

I liked the 3 rule, 3 minutes, 3 days, 3 weeks, it instills a methodical way of thinking in all circumstances and the necessary equipment to deal with such situations.

He's an interesting guy to listen to, so I'll be watching some of his u-toob videos, thanks for posting the link, Gary.

A boss used to do his nut with me for working in the blast freezer wearing a t-shirt :icon-rolleyes: and i felt the same when cops said "your going to hospital , in handcuffs if you insist" when i jumped in Aberdeen harbour pissed up one December many years ago :icon-rolleyes:

So it was sobering to read maybe 5 years ago of a young man , a footballer i think , who deciding to jog less than half a mile to his mates house wearing a t-shirt and lost his life to the British winter weather :|

I guess cold is a silent assassin not given much credit unless we are going places we expect to suffer it .

A boss used to do his nut with me for working in the blast freezer wearing a t-shirt :icon-rolleyes: and i felt the same when cops said "your going to hospital , in handcuffs if you insist" when i jumped in Aberdeen harbour pissed up one December many years ago :icon-rolleyes:

So it was sobering to read maybe 5 years ago of a young man , a footballer i think , who deciding to jog less than half a mile to his mates house wearing a t-shirt and lost his life to the British winter weather :|

I guess cold is a silent assassin not given much credit unless we are going places we expect to suffer it .

That's my view Shayne, in the uk it feels colder than it is most of the time because relatively, it's a windy place.

Here, high winds are unusual, so the temp is generally what the thermometer says it is. It's cold in the winter, often in the -20s, which is rare fore the uk.

I had a shock when I felt -32, even with no wind, you lose body heat very rapidly. Yes, it's ok to go from a sauna and jump into a hole in the ice, but you wouldn't last long if you didn't jump out again sharpish, and ice covered water is only 0 degrees or close to it either way.

-32 C in a "T" shirt would be curtains in a few minutes. I had a shitty journey to Val d'Isere one year, delayed and missed flights etc. I was meeting my mate there, and arrived 12 hours late at 11:00 pm, wearing only normal trousers and a short sleeved cotton shirt. (Lost luggage).

I jumped out of the taki in the village at -10C, and even trying to phone him to tell him I'd arrived was an effort, I was shaking that much. He met me after 10 minutes with a spare coat, and I was shivering uncontrollably, I couldn't even speak properly, when he got to me. What a journey that was, flight, bus, train, taxi, none of it planned, thanks to my friend Alitalia. :angry-screaming:

Back