Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An update to the situation

HauptRenate

Hi y'all
I've contacted the police twice this morning and the insurance peoples likewise.
I've been informed that they (the insurance people) are happy for me to take a mechanic or two down to the car pound here in Bristol, but they won't be allowed access to the interior of the car (where most damage has been done) until the police have done their forensics.
So it looks as though (and if there are any takers here local to Bristol or the SW) there is no problem in me having one or two of you guys doing a 'proper 4x4 assessment' for me (and them I guess) on the inside of the car, namely the steering column etc.
The insurance company have to do theirs anyway, but they won't stop any of you guys assisting me with da Beast.
And basically what would make me VERY (ecstatic) happy is if one or two of you were prepared to 'assess' da Beast for me as to likely cost to damaged bits/the bits' 'repairability etc., before the insurance peoples do their assessment.
I would be equally happy for you guys if you wish, to work on da Beast for me, to repair (fix) it, since I'm incompetent ...
And maybe if any of you have available a trailer and attached 4x4, maybe within 10 days, or something (I'm not sure how long the police will want to do their forensics for; they did mention however that it should take more than a day, two at the most to complete their forensics) da Beast can be put on a trailer and taken to any of your 'well-equipped' garages (since I don't have a garage), or, to put it another way "somewhere safe" where we can work on it together to make it roadworthy again.
I'll keep updating here.
Thanks to you all again; I'm SO happy I joined this forum!
Regards
Renate

Realy glad things seem to be panning out for you at last :D , if I had a trailer I would be there, but sorry I haven't, also I'm not clued up enough to assess your damage :cry: , good luck.
Chas

hi
im in avonmouth about 3 to 5 times a week running trucks for mot at vosa
i no the police work shop is just around the corner from vosa, it might be the compound aswell
i would be happy to have a look at the beast
im no lc expert but i do no whats what
i allso do have a car trailer but my lc wont fit on it with the wheels and spacers i have
is your lc standard ?
the trailer width to the arches is 190cm
i allso no various people with recovery vehicles but there would be a cost
i allso have a yard you could store it short time
but as carring any work in the day time is a no no at the moment
if the lc will fit on the trailer i would be happy to let someone borrow it

Hi Mark
Avonmouth eh? I used to work at VOSA at Lawrence Hill, and came to the new Avonmouth VOSA buildings a couple of times.
I used to 'look after' the MOT tutors who did the commercial vehicles' LGV's and PSVs courses at Lawrence Hill.

L'beast is now being held at another car pound in Bristol pending Police investigation.

The insurance company has said they're okay about me taking a couple of mechanics (or even one) with me when the police have finished. We're allowed to visit it but can't touch until the police have concluded their business.

L'beast is a little longer than the bog standard one; being at both the front and back, so it might not fit; its just under 5 mtr long; the height is raised by about 2-3 inches but it hasn't a roof rack on any more.

I'm glad to have made your acquiantance!

Will keep in touch; am just waiting on the police at the mo.

Cheers
Renate

Renate, i am away in Edinburgh for a couple of days (would you believe that i got a flight here on an almost deserted plane :shock: ) but when i get back i can come and asses the damaged. I will not be able to put an insurance price on the job but that's what the forum is for :mrgreen:

I also have a tow bar if that's any help but by the sounds of it, it will be difficult to get your truck on the trailer without a winch (still haven't mounted mine yet).

probably best to have a look at the truck when you have access to the interior as then we will be able to test drive it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
test drive! Ha hmm!
If only - I can't believe the police haven't got back to me! it is like, well over 48 hours now; so much for them saying to me when I spoke with them the day of the grim discovery that they want to come and see me and ask a few more questions... blah, blah, blah! :(
okay, it is evident that I'm miffed, but with good reason.
Renate
(who'se now on a mish to KILL anyone now who lays a FINGER on 'Thunder' without my permission - but not y'all, obviously! you are mi buddies)

Renate
(who'se now on a mish to KILL anyone now who lays a FINGER on 'Thunder' without my permission - but not y'all, obviously! you are mi buddies)

Have you now re-named l'beast Renate? :o

Hi Cossack
Nup, its always been called 'Thunder' since I bought it in 2000 for my archaeology; I'm one of those, see, those od-bods whom, in my case, prefer to drive to and in Africa then anywhere else and stick around in the Sahara camping and surveying and stuff... the usual things aarchaeologists do - except that I'm a prehistorian too, so I take da beast overland (and ferries of course) to do the bizz in relation to rock paintings and engravings in places like Libya, Algeria, Egypt, Sudan etc
It is a survey vehicle but hasn't been modded to the extent that I see other landcruiser peeps with their snazzy bells and whistles etc; slight hiccup - the cost of mods is pretty much prohibitive (especially when I'm not working....) but it is used for pleasure as well as work, so you can imagine how much I'm missing it.
The police have just rang me saying they are going to do a door to door enquiries (not that they'll find a bean or thread of evidence) and the young officer (he sounds very young) said he will ring me back later as regards when the CIS people finally decide what they are going to do with da Beast.
Still a waiting game, obviously...

Hi y'all

The police have done their bizz and the vehicle can now be 'viewed' and one of you (or even a couple of you 'excellent 4x4 mechanics' are now allowed to pop down with me to the car pound address to do an 'independent assessment' so I can get an idea of how much it will cost to repair it.

The car pound is going to ring me later, so hopefully, after this, if any of you are interested, can you contact me on 07554 511325?

Thank you!

well y'all
Le Crunch time - toyo rang me today after doing an assessment (stripping down the steering column to ascertain the damage), and informed me that the SC had been considerably damaged; in their opinion the vehicle was indeed broken into with a view to steal it for another 'job' (which is what I told the police), they also said that it would have probably taken 20 minutes or longer to get it into that damaged condition.....l'beast held its ground for all that time and didn't budge an inch.
So it seems to me, being an older vehicle, it is time to upgrade its security - so I've asked Thatchams for a quote on a Cat 1 security measure - okay, it will cost me probably a grand, maybe even more, but that is how important a survey vehicle is for me, so it aint going to go for scrap and instead Stef is going to send me over an original 91 regis, 80 series steering column.
Notalot I can do until its taken somewhere safe so it can be stored for the summer
Cheers
Renate

Does this mean that you are getting toyota to fit a used steering column?

Rob
No, toyo is not doing the repair; £775 estimate.
Toyo wouldn't fit a second hand unit in anyway
At least it isn't going to be scrapped! which is a good result in itself...
Renate

Back