Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

And the moral of the story is...

Yeah, that was a beaut story - hard to feel sorry for those Somali pirates. Got their @rses properly kicked :twisted:

"It seems that they all died," the unnamed source was quoted as saying by Russia's Interfax news agency.

:shock: ;) ;)

Sometimes you wish other countries would be more decisive. :?

It sounds like what happened was the Russians were going to take the pirates off to Russia to be charged under the international piracy laws... and then figured that they'd probably get off with a minor punishment anyway and they'd have all the liberals in Europe etc squawking about letting them go cos they're poor and don't have any other means of feeding themselves and their 14 malnourished children etc.... so they decided to mete out a bit of justice themselves and invite them to paddle 1000 miles home :evil:

sumary justice - fine as long as you`re not on the reciving end of it

If you can't do the time / face the punishment - DON'T be a pirate then. They got pretty much the same sort of mercy as they have known to mete out to others so I gues what goes around.....

One up to the Russians :D. Think the captain of the Russian ship may well have been a Mr Clarkson

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
a london based law firm recently negociated the payment of a 3.3 million dollar ransom to free the spanish ship the alakrana - im sure the lawers didnt act for free but no one has sugested that they are set adrift in the indian ocean in an open boat.perhaps those in favor of sumary justice could list some of the people or groups who 'deserve' this & tell us why?

goodoldboy said:
a london based law firm recently negociated the payment of a 3.3 million dollar ransom to free the spanish ship the alakrana - im sure the lawers didnt act for free but no one has sugested that they are set adrift in the indian ocean in an open boat.perhaps those in favor of sumary justice could list some of the people or groups who 'deserve' this & tell us why?

I was off the coast of Somalia in 2007 and literally dealing with the pirates and the aftermath of the things that they do, so i'm all for summary justice, and had i had the appropriate ROE i would have been more than happy to dole some out.

When you see the sort of things these animals do first hand we'll see if you still believe that dealing with them legally is the answer.

Phew, I do not want to get into a big debate here - Goodoldboy, I am struggling to follow your logic though.

In your story, the lawyers are simply intermediaries between kidnappers (shipnappers?) and the owners - so why should the lawyers be set adrift or considered for any kind of punishment? Surely for the analogy to be valid, the people considered for "summary" justice would be the people that hijacked the Spanish vessel? What have London-based lawyers got to do with any of this?

Not sure why you're trying to provoke an argument with this:
goodoldboy said:
perhaps those in favor of sumary justice could list some of the people or groups who 'deserve' this & tell us why?
A few of us have thrown in our 2c about PIRATES, who have opened fire unprovoked on merchant shipping in international waters (i.e. civilians who have done nothing to deserve their fate at the hands of the pirates), murdered people and hijacked ships. These are clearly people carrying out premeditated acts and if they get their comeuppance at the hands of the Russians (or anyone else IMHO), I'm not shedding any tears. You are aware that the rule of law has broken down in Somalia, so these people are 100% used to summary justice or worse? :? (not saying this makes any of it right, just that following Western-style legal action ain't an option there :idea: )

I don't see any of us that have posted on this thread supporting summary justice being applied to every criminal in the world. We're just commenting on an event that took place - we weren't involved in the decisions that were taken :roll:
Let's not get too steamed about the whole thing :roll: If you think the pirates were treated harshly - ok, no problem, that's your view and I/we respect that.

Cheers,

Tommo&Claire said:
goodoldboy said:
I was off the coast of Somalia in 2007 and literally dealing with the pirates and the aftermath of the things that they do, so i'm all for summary justice, and had i had the appropriate ROE i would have been more than happy to dole some out.
When you see the sort of things these animals do first hand we'll see if you still believe that dealing with them legally is the answer.
Summary justice ;) is probably the only thing likely to stop these pirates, they'll just laugh :lol: at the namby pamby do-gooders. :twisted:
Chas

If you live by the sword, then you need to prepared to die by the sword.

Simples (in my best Russian accent ;) )

a lot to disscuss here so i'll try to be coherent & stick to the main points.firstly i don't support the pirates or intend to justify what they do but understanding the problem properly might go some way to solving it.secondly the tone of the first few post seemed to be more about enjoying the fate of the "bad guys" rather than any thought for the victims - ok i too enjoy watching dirty harry blow away the scumbags but this is not hollywood.the current situation has seen the spanish goverment allow the posting of mercenarys on ships & this seems to be having some effect but trying to police a vast area like this needs huge resorces so stopping the problem a source might be the solution.as for not wanting to get into a debate andrew why bother posting? do feel uncomfortable having your opinions challenged?
I don't see any of us that have posted on this thread supporting summary justice being applied to every criminal in the world. We're just commenting on an event that took place - we weren't involved in the decisions that were taken/quote] but you do think its ok for somali pirates.revenge is allways after the event - no victims no revenge. a complex problem needs complex sollutions

goodoldboy said:
a lot to disscuss here so i'll try to be coherent...
Better punctuation and getting the quotes right would have been a huge help
doh.gif

No problem having my opinion challenged - I presume
goodoldboy said:
do feel uncomfortable having your opinions challenged?
was directed at me?
Posting and debating needn't be the same thing :idea:
I will remind you that this thread was posted about pirates getting a taste of their own medicine and the not the rights & wrongs of "sumary" justice as you put it. I was/am trying to avoid this thread disintegrating into a flame-match, and not make judgements about other people's opinions. :roll:

Cheers,

goodoldboy said:
a lot to disscuss here so i'll try to be coherent & stick to the main points.firstly i don't support the pirates or intend to justify what they do but understanding the problem properly might go some way to solving it.secondly the tone of the first few post seemed to be more about enjoying the fate of the "bad guys" rather than any thought for the victims - ok i too enjoy watching dirty harry blow away the scumbags but this is not hollywood.the current situation has seen the spanish goverment allow the posting of mercenarys on ships & this seems to be having some effect but trying to police a vast area like this needs huge resorces so stopping the problem a source might be the solution.as for not wanting to get into a debate andrew why bother posting? do feel uncomfortable having your opinions challenged?
I don't see any of us that have posted on this thread supporting summary justice being applied to every criminal in the world. We're just commenting on an event that took place - we weren't involved in the decisions that were taken/quote] but you do think its ok for somali pirates.revenge is allways after the event - no victims no revenge. a complex problem needs complex sollutions

Just for the sake of intelligent discussion here mate, how would you like to see the situation dealt with?

Your opinions seem to be generally sit slightly further left than what seems to be the average on here(!) so i'm just interested...

A flame-match! come on Andrew things are just getting interesting!As for dealing with the problem, a proper effort at stopping the flow of arms & munition into Somalia might be a start - the civil war has been going since 1991!The lack of any proper goverment means that illegal fishing in Somali waters goes unchecked so fishermen have to do something else(piracy)Military action might win a war but dialoge , compromise & commitment are needed to secure any peace deal.As for other points , personal emotions are not really a good basis for international problem -solving - I have been involved in a nasty battle with a suspected child molester & thought about going round to his house with a hammer , but i'm glad i didn't - my family need me here , not in jail.As for the left wing - right wing point I don´t subscribe to ether - the last labour goverment was probably the most right-wing the UK has had since Thatcher!As for spling & puntuation - sorry headmaster! but hey , we`re not exactly submitting copy for the Times.

Nuclear weapons, as in the use of, not supply of. Problem removed (not solved you'll note).

Nuke 'em - sounds like you were taught at the taliban school of diplomacy!

I have often had my lack of diplomacy complimented :lol:

As I pointed out, it would solve the problem... A bit like dandelions, that sort of problem...

ship ahoy - are the Israeli government this weeks candidates for being set adrift in an open boat?

Back