Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another new guy signing in

Mike wood

Hi just picked up a new to me 9191 LJ78 wagon. Found this forum full of fresh new j70 owners with big plans. My new rig is in very good condition for its age. Only has 24k miles and everything seems to be working.
I have been running through the catch up maint. Eg. Fluid changes, went to all synthetics. Flushed out the cooling system with thermocure rust eater. Blew all the rust build ups out of the hoses and turbo cooling circuit.
Did a few minor performance upgrades.
Removed the egr stuff.
Removed the throttle plate.
J- hooked the turbo wast gate.
Really woke up that little 2lte. Cruises right along in 5th no problem. I dont think Ill need to do any
Injector pump adjustments.
Next thing might be an aftermarket cruise control.

Mike W.

Welcome Mike. 24k? Wow. Sweet. Looking forward to more updates.

Still working on the new lj78. Even the most perfect looking 28 year old vehicles are still 28 years old and need stuff fixed. Mostly i am finding brittle plastic and rubber. I had to toss the plastic tray between the seats. Every time i tried gluing it together i broke another peace off. I had to order a new air intake tube. The one that goes from the air filter to the turbo. Couldnt find an exact match.
After a couple more test runs i decided i did need the infector pump turned up half a turn. That made a noticeable jump in power but caused me to get an over boost light. Next step was to install a boost fooler zener diode from the map sensor output to ground. Did that but will now have to wait for my new glow plugs to arrive before i can test the results again. The ones i got yesterday
Were the wrong ones and i dont want to tear up the brittle air intake tubes putting it back together and then apart and back together again. I just threw some rags over the engine and will have to wait till next week to put it back together with the new glow plugs.
Also next week i should have my new manual locking hubs and suitable winter tires.
Jeesh

Hey, Mike
When you use your door lock/unlock button on your driver console(with the electric window switches) what doors lock and unlock when you press that button?

83F3071E-68A0-494C-B4C2-888A9571ADC8.jpeg
When i use the power lock to lock the truck all but the drivers door locks.
Its nice that i cant lock myself out.
My current task is trying to get my new manual locking hubs installed. I had to
Order a spacer plate. And might have to do other modifications to the spindles
As well. Wont know for sure till my spacers get here next week. using the extra down to check and repack my front wheel bearings and cv joints. The grease is old and stiff. Had the hub replacement gone more smoothly I might have blown off checking the bearings.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back