Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anti Stall engine

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
A few years ago a friend of mine had a Nissan Nivara which had an anti-stall engine. It was a diesel 2.4 IIRC. I remember "playing" with it by sitting on a slight incline, 1st gear (high), no throttle and just dropping the clutch. It would lurch around and smoke like a Chinese power station but stall it would not. It could handle 2nd gear most of the time as well.

How did this work? Was there just a governor (reverse governor?) which when the RPM dropped it would just dump diesel in in an attempt to keep running?

Why would they not continue features like this? It would be an easy thing to do with engines with ECUs.

Ray had great fun with the anti stall on his TD5 90 coming down lane from hell a few years ago, kept cutting in as he tried to go steady over the edge of a big rock and jerked him forwards, nearly had him over a few times :lol:

you do have to learn to drive with it though- its not a natural feeling to just lift the clutch with no revs- it CAN work offroad though. Jon do you remember James trembath who did the winch training nr taunton for us a while ago- wirey ex army chappy- he had a competition td5 with anti stall and could get it do some amazing stuff- the anti stall coupled with traction control was almost as good as having 2 full lockers!

The one i the video is a puma engine

Back