Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone like tractors....

All I know is that it was grey, and had the starter on the gear lever, and I think it might have been a Fergie.

It would be great if someone could tell me what it was, even with so little to go on.

From the description it was a 'Ferguson T20', the 'Little Grey Fergie' with the Standard Vanguard 2.2 litre motor. Some were diesel, others TVO/Petrol (TVO = Tractor Vaporising Oil). You started it on petrol and ran it until it was warm, then switched over to the cheaper TVO. Before stopping you had to switch it back to petrol or else it wouldn't start from cold without the carb being drained and petrol introduced.

Fergusson designed the "Three-point Hitch" that is a universal standard today. They also produced a huge range of implements which made it extremely versatile. In addition they could be modified to have four-wheel drive and a 'Low Ratio' gearbox amongst other things. Some of the conversions used Series Landrover parts :icon-surprised:.
I'd love one (along with a Ford County :cool:).

One had to push the gear lever down to start it :icon-wink:.

There are still lots about. Here is a representative one . .

DSC_9612.JPG

DSC_9616.JPG

I just remembered finding a tractor in a shed at a chateau I was staying at near Angouleme, could not get into the the shed as I am allergic to bee stings and there was a nest, the shed had a door in front of the tractor but not the bay next to it so i very cautiously took some photo's.
P8291496.JPG
P8291497.JPG

I also found this on the side of the road, did not pry under the covers but did take a photo.

P8161145.JPG

parked across the road was this,

P8161143.JPG

but this really caught my eye parked down the road from them.

P8161155.JPG

That's enough thread hijacking lol.

If anyone wants Ferguson info, or more pics, I have a 1954 20 diesel which I rebuilt from the ground up, every nut and bolt. Here it is just after arriving to our new home last night..before anyone asks, the shed is full of boxes and crap as we only moved in last week.. but has a lot more space than it looks like!
IMAG1348.jpg

That’s got to be the one I remember Bob!
Thanks, a bit nostalgic now, seeing a photo...

Lovely looking tractor Bernese.
You must be well pleased with her.
We still fire up the major and the old 165 for hay making. To be honest when the newer tractors brake down, you can always rely on the older ones to get you out of trouble. Although the major loader does struggle with the silage bales we make. Top job, we don't see many Porsche tractors here.

Cheers, Mark

If anyone wants Ferguson info, or more pics, I have a 1954 20 diesel which I rebuilt from the ground up, every nut and bolt. Here it is just after arriving to our new home last night..before anyone asks, the shed is full of boxes and crap as we only moved in last week.. but has a lot more space than it looks like! View attachment 133774
Always liked the look of the Fergusons, looks like you've done a top job Bob. I wouldn't mind one if I had a use for it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Never owned a tractor or even worked on one but quite like looking round them.
here's a couple I snapped a few years back...

DSC_4269.jpg

Even my Collie liked the old Fordson Major..... P6140056.jpg

The first of many Airfix models I built was a Furguson tractor, I can't remember what model though, I was about 8/9

Ooooooh a County Super 6 :drool:.

(Based on one of the larger Fords :icon-wink:).

Bob.

A snapshot of a mate's collection - between him and his brother they have 4 yards, and about 100 bits of plant and tractors... All of it works... His kids (both son and daughter) are into the machinery as well, his daughter is about to start working at a local tractor supplier in the office, and they half expect her to take a mechanics apprenticeship!

This lot are out at one of their yards:
WP_20161204_14_36_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_14_37_51_Pro.jpg

Cruiser in the background:
WP_20161204_15_30_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20161204_14_36_15_Pro.jpg

This lot were taken at the local machinery show, where he encourages the kids to get involved:

His daughter at the tractor pull:
IMGP8807.JPG

Mate's niece:
IMGP8845.JPG

Wife and mate's daughter:
IMGP8847.JPG

Mate's lad doing the tractor pull with load sledge:
IMGP8805.JPG

Local RFS Cruiser that was also at the show - in the back ground is the older one, 1995 IIRC
IMGP8824.JPG

Another mate with one of his tractors:
IMGP8898.JPG

Mate's daughter:
IMGP8920.JPG

Mate, his wife and one of their other friend's little ones:
IMGP8932.JPG

Now some stuff from the last few AgQuips:
WP_20160816_018.jpg

WP_20160816_017.jpg

WP_20160816_016.jpg

WP_20160816_015.jpg

Some moderns from AgQuip:
WP_20160816_012.jpg

WP_20160816_011.jpg

WP_20160816_010.jpg

WP_20160816_007.jpg

WP_20170822_12_50_49_Pro.jpg

To put it in perspective, the area I'm based in is responsible for about 20% of the agricultural production in NSW, but only 16% of the farms in the state.

That looks a good day out ed. Bet the foods crackin!

the super six looks like it would still drive if it was upside down..

At AgQuip, it's notorious for the steak sandwich being sold by the breed association... with live examples of the breed next to the BBQ...

For those fans of Fergies, this might be of interest... it's an hour down the road from me and we're planning on going down.

I love that orange and silver single-cylinder job. It looks like a "Field Marshall" or a German "Lanz" but I believe other manufacturers produced these large single cylinder 'hot Bulb' or two-stroke diesel multi-fuel tractors. Unfortunately I can't make out the name on the front.

There was a 'crawler' version known as a "Fowler Mk VF":

DSC_7260.JPG

DSC_7261.JPG

I saw this one at the "Scottish Transport Extravaganza at Glamis Castle on 13th July 2013.

Bob.

Loving all this, and the photos!

I remember us kids having/playing with a kiddie-car like the one in the photo, I think it was my cousin’s (they were rich!) :? :lol:

A neighbour bought a small Kubota tractor, but the front diff had failed. His Brother-in-Law took it away and made a modified Ford Transit axle for it:

DSCN2663.JPG

We collected it from James' place near Forfar.

DSCN2670.JPG

DSCN2676.JPG

Unfortunately, when the front bucket is loaded the rear wheels lose traction and it won't move - the front wheel drive did most of the work:icon-rolleyes:.

If my neighbour wasn't such a tight git he'd have bought a proper front axle and the thing would be useable :icon-redface:.

DSCN2681.JPG

If a jobs worth doing . . . . . . . .

Bob.

20171006_131058.jpg
As we're on compacts..

ours. Only done 600 hours.

Back