Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Anyone with an early 80 Auto 4.2 TD Import?? & some ?'s

Cptsideways

Garage
I'm looking to buy a an early 80 JDM import model (no rust!!!!!) I've now had both 12v & 24v's I quite like the simplicity of the 12v's & this would be my first choice. Also like the idea of an Auto as mine is used mostly for towing 90% of the time. Not fussed about the lockers as its not really for offroad & I've never used them in anger in 3 years yet!

It's been mentioned the early ones dont have ABS, when did they get it?

The Auto's are taller geared yes? whats the difference, my 24v manual is 2150 rpm for an indicated 70mph, would be keen to know how much difference there is.

The japland ones come with fridges & AC, along with the yellow high beams, to match my race car :) Oh & no rust on the whole which is always a big bonus. They just dont come with leather generally which is a shame.

I have a Jan 92 JDM import.
982286230_hhjWk-L.jpg

She's a bit poorly at the moment though
1050257143_Q5PAE-L.jpg

I can't help you with your questions other than to say, mine is an early 92 which had a the none solenoid controlled auto boxes and no ABS... I do like the idea of minimal electronics :thumbup:

Attachments

• 982286230_hhjWk-L.jpg
    982286230_hhjWk-L.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 1050257143_Q5PAE-L.jpg
    1050257143_Q5PAE-L.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 45
Just a pointer, the yellows on mine are front fogs and the outers are the standard two element dip and main.
Unlike the wifes UK model which is outer dip and inner main.

My 94 has leather & the fridge & revs as per piccie below.

Dials003.jpg

Attachments

• Dials003.jpg
    Dials003.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 64
I have a import at the min that is being moted tomoz. Silver over red, fridge aircon etc abs model with overdrive, limo tints in the rear window/sunroof shields. Think it has 300ish km on it. Pm me if interested. I will put some pics on this post when i get chance to take some
karl

ABS came late 92 / early 93 - 16 inch wheels are a giveaway (although not always as some get fitted to earlier cars). Brake discs are bigger on the ABS equipped ones and the 15 inch wheels don't fit. VX limited tends to come with Alcantara (suede leather often fitted to really expensive cars and very nice if kept well). Most JDMs are 5 seater, have fixed rear side windows rather than the sliding ones, some have factory 3 inch lift and 33 inch tyres, factory AISIN A1000 winch, fridge, split front / rear AC. Very few come with axle lockers only centre diff lock. Some even have factory fitted cruise control even on fairly early ones.

Autos have 4.11 Diff gears (same as UK autos).

if you can get a Middle East spec one you may get camping kit (cooker etc) plus everything else - I saw a couple when I was looking for the 80 I had before my 100. Had 3 inch lift, Factory Winch, Alcantara interior, Split A/C, Camping kit, fridge, 33 inch tyres on 15 inch alloys (no ABS), more bling than you could shake a stick at (chrome grille, door mirrors, vents etc) and very low mileage - then again at the time (5 years ago) very very expensive - around 8 grand on a J plate. One of them even had factory front and rear lockers. Also because Middle East model, no rust.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers for the advice

I've only gone & bought one :mrgreen: & going by the chassis number I reckon it was made within the first week or two of 80 series production!

Pics & stuff coming shortly

Pics in the morning but.....

Two tone silver over red
AC & Fridge
Cruise
Auto
5 SeaterVelour trim
Sunroof, eleccy windows, etc
Split lever tailgate like the UK ones & spare underneath
Sdaly no F-R lockers but I'm working on that idea ;)
Pretty much rust free
No ABS
1989 vintage!!! one of the first built going by the chassis number
180,000 km so about 111k miles :) :dance:

Quite a list of minor jobs to sort, drivers window, a new mirror & a bit of faided paintwork and a stodgy brake pedal, and the wrong gay size tyres, otherwise mechanically lovely.

Hi

Sounds a bit like mine was Silver over Red

I was not to keen on the red so went for a darker grey.

BEFORE
LC4.jpg

AFTER
morocco3.jpg

Attachments

• LC4.jpg
    LC4.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 75
  • morocco3.jpg
    morocco3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 63
Back