Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

April 2021 Upgrade - Whoops

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, we did an upgrade this morning and suffice to say, it did not all go well.

The upgrade itself went fine, the post-upgrade tasks utterly broke it. Everything was a mess and looked a bit like a Defender after a short journey :)
Sadly, the restore of the backup did not fix it either for reasons I'm not sure but there you go.

I also took the opportunity to change the colours a bit. I know the red was quite "proud" so decided to tone it down a bit.
I suspect there are some buttons and colours which might not work well for some eyesight but I will work on those this week.

It was certainly interesting when I jumped on earlier....

Well done, and thank you!

Thanks as ever for all your work maintaining the site CP. The community here is great, no matter how the site looks.

fixing.jpg

The Landrover mechanic fell asleep looking for something to fix .

So what was wrong that needed a fix? BTW the orange is yuk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So what was wrong that needed a fix? BTW the orange is yuk
I'm no expert but forum sites like this need to be upgraded periodically for security and functions to work. They are formed using templates that the site is built around. Crispin doesn't design from scratch to my knowledge. Change is inevitable.. embrace it and as my grandfather said, the good old days are gone.. let's have good new days.

I'm no expert but forum sites like this need to be upgraded periodically for security and functions to work. They are formed using templates that the site is built around. Crispin doesn't design from scratch to my knowledge. Change is inevitable.. embrace it and as my grandfather said, the good old days are gone.. let's have good new days.
Well said Bob, but I am a great believer in 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'

Well said Bob, but I am a great believer in 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'
Me too. But in IT security, it is: "If it ain't broke yet, it will be" or "If someone hasn't broken in yet, they will". You have to be proactive and upgrade before it's too late. It's a pain, and I'm not the best follower of this rule...

I like that the 'New Posts' sidebar is gone and you have to click a button to get the full list of recent activity. Too easy for new threads to quickly get buried and forgotten with the old layout.

I like that the 'New Posts' sidebar is gone and you have to click a button to get the full list of recent activity. Too easy for new threads to quickly get buried and forgotten with the old layout.
I disagree, they won't be, 'buried' , if you click on New Posts or What's New you will get all the new stuff displayed, just like pre-upgrade, so nothing really new there.

It's looking a lot brighter Crispin & the new layout isn't that different.The line drawing of the 40 looks a lot better , less likely to be mistaken for a L---R----- :fearscream:

Thanks for updating and keeping the site going, it’s a pain having to constantly upgrade/update (mainly for security issues, or at least closing them off) but necessary.

What colour things are or the exact layout isn’t that important to me. Most important part is US posting and helping other members.

The line drawing of the 40 looks a lot better ,
Agreed. I like the way it turned out. Stands out a lot better.

it’s a pain having to constantly upgrade/update (mainly for security issues, or at least closing them off) but necessary.
Upgrading is easy, it's a pain when it goes wrong. Had some choice language when I realised it broke. Now I know what Landrover owners feel like :
Most important part is US posting
That... ^

Hi, I don't know if this is due to the upgrade but now I can only log on to the site using my tablet. If I try with the phone or PC, I just get a Forbidden message or Forbidden 403
_20210501_172536.JPG

_20210501_172536.JPG

I'm unable to log in either, if it is because of the upgrade it's a bit of a failure if some can't log in. The only way I can get on the site is if someone posts on a thread I've been watching I then get an email informing me, the email will have a link to see the post, that is the only way I'm able to get on the site, I can then view other pages. The odd thing is when I get on the site in that way I seem to be logged in, go figure!

I can't log in from the link in emails (except on my tablet). On the phone or PC I just get the Forbidden message

Back