Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Are fuel addatives any good?

Whoops .. just realised I'm wrong on this one! :oops:

Clive,
0.1 of a litre is 100ml. so this gave me .08 = 8ml.

Happy to be proven wrong on this ... as you said that decimal place is very important on this one! Does seem like a ludicrously small amount.

Cheers

Me too, I don't mind being wrong, I'm just trying to confirm what is right.

Agreed 0.1lt is 100ml.

But by the same math 0.08lt is 80ml or 8cl (not ml).

There's 1,000ml to the liter or 100cl

Are there any math teachers in the audience, or am I going nuts? :lol:

haha I thought that might happen.

It's still a minute amount in a tankful, almost a teaspoon job! I wonder if its correct, 1,000ppm I mean?

If you double the dose, do you end up with rocket fuel? :lol:

It's still a minute amount in a tankful, almost a teaspoon job!
Finally we get to something I can understand.
3d-funny-eyes.gif
So How many teaspoons to a tankful?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Finally we get to something I can understand.
3d-funny-eyes.gif
So How many teaspoons to a tankful?

Who mentioned Tea? I'll 'ave a cuppa! :lol:

The answer is multiply 80lt by 1,000 = 80,000ml then divide by 5ml (British Standard Teaspoon capacity) = 16,000 teaspoons. It doesn't sound enough, but I'm not going to try it out!:eusa-naughty::lol:

Who mentioned Tea? I'll 'ave a cuppa! :lol:

The answer is multiply 80lt by 1,000 = 80,000ml then divide by 5ml (British Standard Teaspoon capacity) = 16,000 teaspoons. It doesn't sound enough, but I'm not going to try it out!:eusa-naughty::lol:

OK, I see what you mean but how many teaspoons of this snake oil should you ADD to a tankful? :think:

OK, I see what you mean but how many teaspoons of this snake oil should you ADD to a tankful? :think:

Well I think we landed on 80ml / 5ml = 16 tsps in old money.... Assuming an 80lt tank.

That's the same as 8 desert spoons, or 4 table spoons (according to Mrs Beaton's Cook Book).

Or 32 tsps if you're going via the moon :think::lol:

Last edited:
I know i'm gonna regret saying this but a bottle of ladies nail varnish is 16ml according to google .

I know i'm gonna regret saying this but a bottle of ladies nail varnish is 16ml according to google .

Well, by my math Shayne, you'd need 5 bottles of ladies nail varnish to each tankful. :icon-biggrin:

But why ladies nail varnish, didn't google give the capacity of a man's nail varnish bottle?

That's a bit sexist these days, should complain to Wikipedia or google, not PC at all!

Cheaper to buy it in 5 litre containers from a chemical supplier

i decant into a 1 litre bottle (cannot pour from the 5 litre into the small bottles very well at all) surface tension on the liquid is different to water and pours differently.i

then i decant into 100 ml bottles for adding to each tankful

(great for quick lighting of firewood when camping. But be very careful and only use a little bit - got a pretty good singe one time until i got the hang of it)

If i understand this correctly adding ethyl hexyl nitrate is similar to adding petrol to your diesel , i'm inclined to think that's a conservative comparison perhaps i should say jet fighter fuel . Seems to me you add this to thin fuel and give a higher burn rate then you add 2-stroke to thicken fuel to prevent wear . All told all you end up with is expensive diesel . May as well just look for the most expensive stuff at the pumps .

2-EHN is added at around 1000ppm which is 1ml per litre, so the effect on viscosity is non-existent. I'm no chemist but it's the ability to make double oxygen bond that improves the cetane rating. From memory Acetone might be lower than this level. Talking to somebody recently acetone is proven to benefit petrol as well as diesel, but above a certain point, increased dosage has no benefit and can be just the opposite.

I use both in my polished fuel and use a glass 10ml syringe for dosing.

Last edited:
Been using Asda`s 2 stroke oil for about a year now, with no issues. I did wonder initially if adding oil would make the old `78 smoke, but no issues with mot.
Chas`s link would explain why, on the burn.
As with others on here, the old girl seems to run better/smoother. The only thing is, I couldn`t pin down a definitive amount in figures I understand, so I just add a capfull every fill up, yes capful NOT cupfull. Sometimes I need to look again at things, - must be my age, lol

I have been using it for 2 years on both cars, quieter, smother and no smoke, I use 'Carlube' from Morrisons it's £2/00 per 500ml...

I bought a 25l drum from eBay cost about £75, £1:50 500ml. I put that much in each tankful, that increases the cost of a fill up a bit :think: I think I'll try halving that and see what difference it makes.

I have / use lots of Stihl concentrate 2 stroke oil for the kit we have - now, if I put a capfull in on each fill up, 2 questions.....will I smell like a chainsaw......and....as its red, if the Duane's ever stop me and dip my tank, will I go off to the Bastille? (esp as we run both mowers on red and usually carry around 25l in a can!)

If the boys in blue are looking for colour I doubt it would show in that dilution, you could always claim you put it in by mistake. :laughing-rolling:

It won`t be the boys in blue, it will be HMRC, over here anyway. Avoid anything with red dye/colour in it, it stains the inside of the tank and for some time leaves a pink trace in subsequent fuel. You do not want those bar stewards on your back, I know from experience where heating oil for the warehouse was put in the diesel fuel storage tank by mistake, HMRC took the fleet of trucks off the road and big enquiry. after one was stopped and dipped. Even after rectified, all tanks and lines flushed out, HMRC gave each truck a notice in cab for future pulls, as dye stays in tank some time after. As Chas says though, the amount used is negligible, but might build up over a period.

John

Back