Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Audible warning for lights

BIG clean GREEN

Garage
After running my battery flat for the 2nd time after being a tw*t and leaving the lights on, I want to find an audible warning device, as my prado doesnt have one as std, it does have warnings if the door is open or the keys are left in but suprisingly not for the lights, any ideas on simple solutions ?

Nick.

you could fit a battery guard
then what ever you leave on you will never have a flatt battery
normally a good one with aux swich is about £50-£100

Mark Whiteside said:
you could fit a battery guard
then what ever you leave on you will never have a flatt battery
normally a good one with aux swich is about £50-£100

We trialed one of these when I was coach driving and it was the only motor that never once needed a bump or jump start at sometime during the winter. Cracking piece of kit :thumbup:

Nick. On my brother-in-laws Prado I just took a 12v buzzer and wired a feed from the sidelight circuit and then earthed it to the drivers side interior light switch. When the sidelights are on and you open the door the buzzer sounds. Goesd off when you shut the door. Onlt down side is it works all the time the lights are on and the engine is running or not. A really simple alarm but it works as no flat battery yet :whistle: :pray: .
My UK colorado has an alarm which only works when the ignition is off. I will try and follow the wiring and draw a diagram to point you in the right direction. Have to do some work on mine this weekend so hopefully sooner rather than later

Steve

Ps I have some of the buzzers left. If you want one, Pm me your address and I will send you one up

Thanks Steve, however I've just bought a cheap buzzer alarm off flea bay which I'll wire up using the side lights and an ignition wire that feeds the radio, hopefully tomorrow !

Cheers,

Nick.

you might be able to use the doors open/keys in ignition one if you use a feed from the lights. will take a bit of reverse engineering though and lots of fiddling to see which is the source wire. i have thought about this, but i've just unplugged the unit as the keys in ignition/door open beeping was really annoying.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All wired up and working fine !

Callum, which plug was it that you unplugged to turn the stupid buzzer off, I took a look but it's like a plate of spaghetti, and where abouts is it, do you have any pics to help me please ?

Thanks,

Nick.

i'm afraid mine is an 80, so not too much help. i just followed the noise to the driver footwell and found a litttle black box which said 'doors open warning' on it. i just pulled the plug out and that was that. i use its live feed for my remote locking now, but some day i'd like to make it warn me when i've left my lights on.

the other annoying buzzer is the reverse beep. unfortunately that seems to emit from the 'automatic transmission ecu' box so it must be part of the transmission control. a bit more difficult to stop that one unfortunately.

Back