Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto Gearbox Oil Drain Now No Drive

Graham Whitehead

Country Flag
great_britain
I have dropped the gearbox sump oil, then dropped the sump, replaces the oil filter put it all back, replaced the oil to what came ,out (5 Ltrs) but it wanted more, now I drive 10 miles and lose drive completely.

|Also replaced the radiator as the oil was a brown colour

Reason for replacing filter and oil was jumping into drive and reverse with a bang

What is the problem, do i have to prime it, I went through all gears slowly, drove great for about 10 miles, then gave up all drive.

What have I done ?

Thanks in anticipation

G

Last edited:
I have dropped the gearbox sump oil, then dropped the sump, replaces the oil filter put it all back, reokaced the oil I too ,out (5 Ltrs) but it wanted more, now i drive 10 miles and loose drive completely.

Reason for replacing filter and oil was jumping into drive and reverse

What is the problem, do i have to prime it, I went through all gears slowly, drove great for about 10 miles, then gave up all drive.

What have i done ?

Thanks in anticipation

G
Are you sure it was full when you started, maybe it was near empty before you started?

What does the dipstick say now. Remember you need to measure it warm and with engine running.

Are you sure it was full when you started, maybe it was near empty before you started?

What does the dipstick say now. Remember you need to measure it warm and with engine running.

The weird this is it was showing about 2 inches below the cold mark when i checked running and hot,,,,, when first broke down, called my son out with fluid and filler pipe and funnel, checked it again and it was an inch over hot ????, so assuming it was wrong amnd just drained back to pan, i put a ltr in, still no drive ;(

The weird this is it was showing about 2 inches below the cold mark when i checked running and hot,,,,, when first broke down, called my son out with fluid and filler pipe and funnel, checked it again and it was an inch over hot ????, so assuming it was wrong amnd just drained back to pan, i put a ltr in, still no drive ;(
Hmmmm I know with mine I had a leak and refilled it but then 100km later it took another litre. Maybe it's worth having it in each gear including the N R D 2 and L positions for a few mins each, with engine running of course.

Just had a thought since you had the pan off could you have disturbed any electrical connections inside the trans or maybe a connector on the outside of it? Even just one solenoid down could mean no drive or reverse. Furthermore have you tried it drive but using the 2nd Start button to force a pull away in 2nd gear? This would use different solenoids and maybe allow you to pinpoint the cause.

Sorry for this one, but you haven’t knocked the low ratio lever into neutral without realizing it, maybe?

I know little about autos only that IME, trying to read anything from the dipstick is very hit and miss.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just had a thought since you had the pan off could you have disturbed any electrical connections inside the trans or maybe a connector on the outside of it? Even just one solenoid down could mean no drive or reverse. Furthermore have you tried it drive but using the 2nd Start button to force a pull away in 2nd gear? This would use different solenoids and maybe allow you to pinpoint the cause.

I have just taken the gearbox pipe off the bottom of the rad and there is no pumping of oil should there be ?

Last edited:
Sorry for this one, but you haven’t knocked the low ratio lever into neutral without realizing it, maybe?

I know little about autos only that IME, trying to read anything from the dipstick is very hit and miss.

No I checked, but I have just taken the gearbox pipe off the bottom of the rad and there is nothing pumping, should there be ?

I have tried 2nd start and nothing, but I have just taken the gearbox pipe off the bottom of the rad and there is nothing, no pumping of oil, should there be ?

Last edited:
One pipe to the radiator is a feed, one a return. So you should get fluid pump from one when the engine is on.

Do you get any leak from the pipes, I would have thought ATF would seep from them when the engine is off.

One pipe to the radiator is a feed, one a return. So you should get fluid pump from one when the engine is on.

Do you get any leak from the pipes, I would have thought ATF would seep from them when the engine is off.

it drips, but not pumping, I am wondering if i fitted the filter properly and it not picking up >

hi, no no leaks, no pumping, I am lost, taking sump off tomorrow see if I can spot anything

i WIULL DO. BUT I LOVE DRIVING IT SO MUCH i HAVE JUST BOUGHT

OPPS, LETS TRY THAT AGAIN ......

I will let you know, it annoys me that people come on this forum to solve a problem, like me, then say all sorted thanks everyone, without letting us all know how, GGRRRR

BUT to my shame, I love driving the Colorado so much, I have gone out and bought another one, with a manual box, as these autos are so troublesome, but I have also bought another auto box with a warranty, good job I am not married or i think i might be a eunuch by now :) My partner just bought a brand new Audi A1 so she cant complain ha ha

I know how your feel mate I love driving my Prado, my choice was a manual Land Cruiser 80 but my wife would have hated the tractor like gear box with worn synchros.

She seems content to drive the 10 year old Mitsubishi Lancer CJ on days we are traveling separately so that's a bonus!

Only trouble I've had from my A343f is a leak due to a mechanic not tightning down pan bolts properly. Has been rebuilt once though I have 379600km on the clock!

Back