Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Auto gearbox / power issues on 4.2TD

coolbest

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hi guys,

I have just bought my self a 1992 LC 80 4.2TD with 280k km on the clock and can't say enough how happy I am with that car. The only issue (or what seems as an issue to me) is the gearbox shift too early from 3rd into 4th, which is causing some performance issues around 65-80km/h range. At that speed, if I floor the gas pedal, nothing happens really (in the auto gearboxes on the previous cars it would normally kick down a gear, but not on my LC) . The car accelerates very slowly. RPMs are from 1500 though to 2000k when the turbo kicks in and the car flies again. This is causing some angry looks while going up some hills, and is a bit frustrating at the moment.

Now, what can be at fault here? I'm not too sure what to blame at this stage, but my intuition points me to gearbox. It almost like the car is missing "power" button - which would force it to shift at a higher RPMs...

Is it possible to move the gearbox lever into "3" position to force it to use the lower gear while moving, or is that bad for the gearbox? Are there some adaptation values that I can reset somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Youv'e got the older A440 box which is not electronically controlled, check the kickdown cable is correctly adjusted as in picture, you want around 1mm gap between the orange bush & the oval ring thingamybob crimped on the cable but the cable stretches with age, trial & error really, do a search on here loads of info or try ih8mud.com

WindowFrames014.jpg

I know i know mines not set at 1mm, i had to play with mine to get it to perform how i wanted it.

Just read that back, Hmmm lol

Great! Thanks for the info! I will try to make some adjustments to that cable soon. :)

If adjusting the kick down cable doesn't give you any joy, then another thing to consider is the gauze filter on the end of the diesel tank pick up pipe.

I've experienced an 80 series where the owner was complaining of loss of power on hills, and he was suspecting the auto box was the fault. I thought it was worth checking the pick up filter, as lots of us have seen on here, they can get really quite blocked up and restrict the fuel flow, you only tend to realise when you demand lots of power from the engine.

The tank pick up pipe can be accessed through an inspection panel that lives under the 2nd row seats. The seats have to be unbolted, then pull the carpet towards the front of the car and you'll see the inspection panel. Remove this and there's the top of the tank, clean it off, disconnect the pipes and plugs, remove the screws and lift it all out.

I removed the pick from the guys 80 and it was absolutley choked, a dam good clean and it then drove like a completley different truck, with loads more power. Problem sorted.

It may help sort you problem, although its still worth doing as preventative maintenance.

Good luck.

Back