Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Axle oil replacements.

wobbly

Garage
Hi all,

Spent 4 hours driving on flooded roads last night for 4x4 Response, a serious but very enjoyable task.

A couple of sections were at axle depth, maybe a tad higher.

As I dont have axle breather tubes fitted, I'm going to change the diff oils in case of contamination.

Is it a simple process?

What spec oil should I use - rear diff is of the lsd variety, shouild this be different to the front.

The truck was awesome, carried me and two police officers all night with no issues at all - only downside is that I was the only one in waders, which meant I had to do all the getting out !

I have it all on video, it was like the worlds longest river crossing.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Hat's off to you mate for doing your bit for the "community".

Both diffs take 80w-90 gear oil (or at least mine does). The front can be a pain to change due to access but nothing that bad TBH. Those fill/drain plugs can become seized quite badly if the oil hasn't been changed in a few years.

Those fill/drain plugs can become seized quite badly if the oil hasn't been changed in a few years.

So take the fill plug off BEFORE you remove the drain plug other wise you might have emptied it and not be able to fill it again! :?

I check the condition of all my axle, gearbox and transfer box oils after each time I use the truck for off roading and I've entered any water. All of mine are slightly overfilled at the moment so all I do is go for a quick spin round the block a couple of times to mix things up a little then remove the fill plug on each, catch a little of what comes out and check its condition. If it looks, tastes and smells like oil then I leave we'll alone. Why waste money replacing something that's all OK. You'll soon tell contaminated oil to be fair it's an easy spot. If no oil comes out when I undo the fill plug I've got a short bit of clear PVC pipe about 6mm diameter that I pop in and then suck some out, check all is OK and if it is blow it back in and then use a large syring just to top back up with the appropriate oil to the fill level. The back axle, transfer box and gearbox are all a 24mm socket, but the front axle is a 10mm Alan key for the fill and a 12mm Alan key for the drain, I've read in the past that both the fill and the drain on the front axle should be the same size but mine are not! The oils in the axles are different to the oil in the transfer and gearbox. Go onto the Opie Oil web site to see what oils you need if any.

LSD diff needs different (more expensive) oil than the standard open diffs.
80w 90 will do for the front but I would recommend putting good stuff in.
The oil works hard and the capacity is only 1/3 of the rear diff.

Cheers.

Will have a look under tomorrow, see what size allen keys I need for the front.

Will have a raed through the manual, but it does look simple - remove fill nut, remove drain nut, drain off, replace drain nut, refill to where it reaches the fill nut, then replace fill nut.

How hard can I make that....:icon-cool:

Will have a look at that website.

Cheers all

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
......the front axle is a 10mm Alan key for the fill and a 12mm Alan key for the drain, I've read in the past that both the fill and the drain on the front axle should be the same size but mine are not! The oils in the axles are different to the oil in the transfer and gearbox.

It was the same on mine too - 10mm hex on the fill and 12mm hex on the drain.

Go onto the Opie Oil web site to see what oils you need if any.

Good advice. Got all my oils from them and always seem to have a deal on plus all the specs required.

Back