Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Back pain caused by driving

Being of knackered back and dodgy hips (c/o rugby and bike injuries) I fitted my Recaro seat to the 95 - best thing I ever did. 3 solid days at the wheel and all was still well.

Unfortunately for Richard, I put the standard seat back in when I sold it. :lol:

Doodle whats the craic with recaro can you get a fitting kit or did you have to fabricate stuff to make it fit ?

Asking the GP for advise proved pointless he ignored everything i said and his diagnoses is i have suffered a strain injury from lifting to much weight and should ease of on my training program :icon-rolleyes: i was pretty much banned from sports at school for not having a P.E kit and still don't now the rules of any game that involves a ball accept pool and I've never been in a gym in my life . Hard physical graft was my trade and most of the muscle has now turned to fat , why is that so difficult for medical people to understand :angry-banghead:

Ok rant over . The exercises the Chiropractor wants me to do are as follows . Sit on a chair put my ankle on my knee and lean forward pushing my horizontal knee down at the same time . And lie down keeping my shoulders on the floor and put my right foot as far to the left as possible sort of twisting my spine . My injuries and back problems are all on the right side .

I ordered a seat rail from Japan - wasn't cheap but it's well made and looks the part. Probably should get rid of it, it's only taking up space.

Do you want to pm me with a price Doodle i'm not about to jump the gun and order a seat but its worth investigating what it all might cost the right recaro might turn up on ebay tomorrow .

Recaro fitting points are fairly standardised, so pretty much any branded Recaro should work - ones from Evos/Type Rs generally come up cheaper and can be adjusted by a good trimmer as required. They're ragingly expensive to buy new - I paid £500 for mine back in 2008, the same model is now over £1k. The ergonomic models are pushing £3k a seat. :wtf:

I'll have a think and come up with a figure :thumbup:

I assumed you had used the seat in your replacement vehicle and where left with a 90 series fitting kit . Black leather interior in my truck ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nah, the 100 has sofas in it. :lol:

But you're on the right idea, the Recaro has been through 3-4 vehicles with me now, just changing and selling on the seat mounts as necessary. It is black leather/alcantara, but the market values don't really reflect how much they actually cost.

Interested doodle but not sure i would be happy with mismatched seats :think: do you have a pic so i can trawl ebay for a match ?

Looks like this but I'm not sure you'll find a match easily.

RecaroTrendlineSeats2.jpg

The market never seems to be able to stand the price relative to new, hence I'm not bothered about selling the seat as I can always re-use it elsewhere. For example, there's a used pair on eBay with a £1700 asking price, where as ex-Evo seats can be had for a couple of hundred pounds.

Last edited:
Keep us updated with plenty of pics on the fitting process please Chas i've been searching for Recaro brackets and theres plenty of unhappy customers who ended up paying through the nose for a quality bracket then had to chop it up and modify it anyway . Already thinking to butcher my seats so i can leave the slider in place and weld another seat to it .

if you take something like a saab seat you can use the sliders it comes with, which makes the whole process easier, and reversable. I was going to get a pair of saab ones for the 60, going rate seems to be about £150 per pair for reasonable ones but I got offered 2 Alfa seats for 60 quid so have got them.

I think the saabs are similar though in that they will basically fit any flat base. I don't know about your truck but in the 60 one side is mounted on the transmission tunnel so the brackets are not the same height so I will have to get a set of mounts made up, these will then attach to the seats.

Unless you have a large pot of money, buying second hand car seats is way cheaper than something like the recaros, even if you have to make up some mounts. Even buying shagged seats and getting them refilled and recovered to your preference would be cheaper than those recaros, leave those for the suburu boy racers, unless you get really lucky!!

Doesn't surprise me with the Recaro rails, they don't have as many options so it's a case of making universal ones fit. Disappointing really.

The rail I have is from Bride (pronounced "brid", http://bride-jp.net), they make specific rails for most Japanese vehicles, usually to order - I had to wait a few weeks for my spot in the queue.

Unless you have a large pot of money, buying second hand car seats is way cheaper than something like the recaros, even if you have to make up some mounts. Even buying shagged seats and getting them refilled and recovered to your preference would be cheaper than those recaros, leave those for the suburu boy racers, unless you get really lucky!!

That's the irony...the Recaros from Evos/TypeRs are pretty much identical, but are available far more cheaply because they're only coming as used parts from a car being broken, so there's no reference to new prices.

For example, these... £265 for a pair.

Last edited:
Keep us updated with plenty of pics on the fitting process please Chas i've been searching for Recaro brackets and theres plenty of unhappy customers who ended up paying through the nose for a quality bracket then had to chop it up and modify it anyway . Already thinking to butcher my seats so i can leave the slider in place and weld another seat to it .

I won't be fitting the seats myself but I'll try to remember to take pics. Looking at the underneath of the SAAB seats I don't think it will be too difficult a job. Don't butcher the original seats Shayne, you may want to refit them.

Doesn't surprise me with the Recaro rails, they don't have as many options so it's a case of making universal ones fit. Disappointing really.

The rail I have is from Bride (pronounced "brid", http://bride-jp.net), they make specific rails for most Japanese vehicles, usually to order - I had to wait a few weeks for my spot in the queue.

they look ok, but your still looking at over a grand for a pair.

I won't be fitting the seats myself but I'll try to remember to take pics. Looking at the underneath of the SAAB seats I don't think it will be too difficult a job. Don't butcher the original seats Shayne, you may want to refit them.

yeh, I don't think it's rocket science, still beyond me 'cos I'm a spantard!! I've got a fabricator who will make up some brackets for utilising the original alfa rails attached to the seats.

Thanks Moggy to be honest i'm quite shocked to see so many standard seats claiming to be Recaro , Audi's , Alfa's , even Ford Fiesta's all claim the name but it has to be said they all look an improvement on the collie seats .

And cheers for that Doodle it could be the deciding factor if the right pair of seats appeared on ebay

True Chas it has crossed my mind that a different seat may not solve the problem .

Check the link I added above. :thumbup:
missed that when reading your original post!

the only thing I find with those racing type seats is they're a bit pinchy across my back, designed more for skinny stig types! never tried the recaros though, looks a good price but would want to go and sit in them.

I wanted leather for the cruiser, sounds strange, but it's a lot easier to clean!!

Thanks Moggy to be honest i'm quite shocked to see so many standard seats claiming to be Recaro , Audi's , Alfa's , even Ford Fiesta's all claim the name but it has to be said they all look an improvement on the collie seats

Recaro are an OEM supplier to a fair few manufacturers, building to supplied design under contract. They also make office chairs, aircraft chairs, etc etc

missed that when reading your original post!

the only thing I find with those racing type seats is they're a bit pinchy across my back, designed more for skinny stig types! never tried the recaros though, looks a good price but would want to go and sit in them.

I wanted leather for the cruiser, sounds strange, but it's a lot easier to clean!!

I'm *anything* but a racing snake - I originally bought the Recaro because it was more generous than the factory offerings in my JDM TypeR.

It is indeed. FWIW, Capital Seating do tailored waterproof covers for this seat design.

Last edited:
Back