Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bad news - less than Euro 3 vehicles to be banned from Bucharest

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Bugger.

The Mayor of Bucharest has decided to introduce a total ban on non-Euro and Euro 1 & 2 vehicles from central Bucharest (where I live) with no exceptions.

The only compensation offered to residents is some vouchers for domestic appliances, worth up to 700 lei (about £140) depending on the vehicle.

WTF :shock:

I’m guessing my 1995 HZJ 80 is Euro 1, so I’m buggered unless there’s a way to retrofit a DPF and/or an SRC system. So far, my enquiries into retrofit devices are drawing a blank...

Has anyone else researched retrofit emission devices?

Looks like I’ll have to park it up at the house out of town and buy another car.

Not happy... :thumbdown: :icon-cry:

Sorry to hear that Clive but I think this is the way we're heading.......emissions may kill off older LCs before rust has a chance to.... :icon-rolleyes:

I know a guy in Antwerp with a 1hdt 80 which has euro 5.
He bought it in Germany where it was installed.

Buy land outside Bucharest, build a car park and do park and ride.

Eninox or something like that I used to buy from to fit kits for hgvs and psvs. Just like a better cat.

I think you will find the cruiser will not even be euro rated

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Buy land outside Bucharest, build a car park and do park and ride.

That’s pretty much the position I’m in already Rich. I can manage without a car Mon-Fri, but the inconvenience of not being able to bring the 80 to the door for weekend use is the main issue. It also stops me from having the truck serviced and repaired, all the workshops worth having are in the city.

They initially considered an 8am till 8pm curfew, which would have suited me fine, for all the reasons above.

Now it will have to be transported in for service/repairs, what a fecking nonsense.

I know a guy in Antwerp with a 1hdt 80 which has euro 5.
He bought it in Germany where it was installed.

That’s interesting Wout, is there any chance of more details?

I’d even drive it there if that’s what it takes...

Bugger..

I suppose things have moved on since I was last there Clive, but there was all manner of old soviet vehicles and what not chugging about.

Can you get the gadget fitted , get your euro rating , then remove it , or will that be a problem at m.o.t time ?

Clive how will they know what it is, here is my 1HZ for the London emissions zone I think it is because it is an import and have no idea what it is

NVJgTqfQQFKJQNRdv1MntA.jpg

Clive how will they know what it is, here is my 1HZ for the London emissions zone I think it is because it is an import and have no idea what it is

View attachment 158741

Mine is currently exempt from the LEZ charge but cops for the ULEZ. That will probably change next year when the LEZ specs are tightened, not that I’m even bothered about London restrictions but Sheffield (and many other large cities) are lining up similar schemes. Boo.

Can you get the gadget fitted , get your euro rating , then remove it , or will that be a problem at m.o.t time ?

TBH Shayne, if I can get the gadget fitted, and a certificate of compliance, I’d have no objection to it staying in place.

The problem ATM is finding a company to supply/fit such a thing.

I don’t know what it needs, whether a DPF would be enough or whether I’d need an AdBlue or similar device.

Both treat the exhaust after it’s been discharged from the manifold so I doubt that there’ll be any noticeable effect at the pedal.

You know I’m not interested in horses, otherwise I’d have a turbo fitted by now...,

View attachment 158741

Well David, this is the nonsense of the whole proposal. The year of manufacture of a vehicle is not apparent visually and thus neither is it’s Euro number.

Added to that, if retrofit devices can be successful, such wouldn’t be apparent either.

Then there’s the dieselgate fiasco, where certified Euro 6 cars have no better emissions than Euro 3 or whatever...

The whole thing is a nonsense dreamt up by a despotic mayor that doesn’t know hay from a bulls ass...

I suspect any bolt on kit that makes a 1h series engine compliant would require some dialling back of the fuelling, much like the 1HD-FT’s were set quite lean from the factory to hit the emissions in force back then. As we all know these old pumps can be re-tweaked of course:)

You don't need adblue for euro 3 Clive I think that came in to play for euro 5. Euro 3 would have an egr at least and from there you'd probably have to fit a dpf of some sort to get it to the standards. If you can't get it serviced just buy the bits, pay for my flights and I'll pop over and service it for you not a problem hahaha. Real bummer that though, have to get a sh*itty little euro box for going to work and keep the 80 at comaric?

I think all you need for euro3 is a cat a dpf came in after euro4 I think

I read something somewhere that said a passenger vehicle of an age that might be relevant to you Clive can be classed as a light goods vehicle if its over 2.5 ton hence qualifying for lesser emissions expectations .

Not very helpful i know but perhaps its something to investigate because they sure as hell ain't gonna ban lorries from delivering goods .

Back