Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Barbour Jackets...worth it?

warrenpfo

I am in the market for an outdoors jacket. One I can wear around town but also that will be usable on a cold/wet day when out in the country and the wife has recommended Barbour to me.

On popping into one of their stores it seems one of their wax jackets would do the job and they seem well made but not cheap £250.

I just wondered if they are worth it or would I be better off getting one of the other brands like North face, mountain equipment etc.

The Barbour’s seem to need looking after and re waxing every few years and i know they are an outdoor brand but seem to have become quite popular and as a mate said a bit "Essex".

Not that I mind so long as it is going to do the job.

Any thoughts

I was never happy with my Barbour, waterproof
rain-035.gif
and well made :thumbup: but expensive :thumbdown: and I never really felt warm in it and as you mentioned they have to be 'maintained'

I have a North Face, which is brilliant.

Used it to commute on a bike to work, and kept me warm all the time, and most importantly kept me dry even in heavy rain.

Only paid around £30 for it thanks to some super-sweet Harrods special. Normally I think they are under £200.
It was a double layer kind of jacket with a removable inner fleece. I think the one I have is called Triclimate.

I used it for a few years every day and never applied any products to it. It is still waterproof :thumbup:

I'm back in SA so doubt I'll use it much again, but if I ever need another -I'd definitely get a North Face :cool:

I used to swear by Barbour jackets but at the time it was either that or an old sweaty cagoule. :thumbdown:

I now prefer some of the modern jackets like North Face, Mammut or Latok. They are lighter, warmer, they breathe better and need less maintainance :thumbup:

warrenpfo said:
I am in the market for an outdoors jacket. One I can wear around town but also that will be usable on a cold/wet day when out in the country and the wife has recommended Barbour to me.

become quite popular and as a mate said a bit "Essex".

Any thoughts

you have got to love the stereotype :lol:

i also have a northface and it is excellent i got it half price for £100 in the go outdoors sale.

It seems North face has come up quite often so will take a look, thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like alot of the m,odern jackets, the Barbour is predominantly a waterprrof coat, if you want to keep you warm in colder temps then you need to get a winter liner - they either button or zip in.

Agree that nowadays a goretex Noth Face or similiar will generally out perform the Barbour, but the Barbour will out last them all!

Chris

Warren, only one answer to your question - Musto all the way! :mrgreen: Musto made their name producing foul-weather gear for round-the-world yachting etc so they know their stuff when it comes to waterproofing and warmth.

If you want super-tough and warm, have a look at Harkila products but make sure you're sitting down when you see the prices :violin: They are Scandinavian so designed for chilly conditions. Very tough and hard-wearing but probably too warm for anything but the coldest weather in the UK (or SA!)

Barbour is yesteryear technology and has lots of negative connotations with the fashion world if you care about that. The big negative is they're expensive and not very warm or waterproof as they age.

With all due respect to the North Face, Berghaus etc fans, these are relatively light-duty jackets for the hiking crowd - they may be warm and waterproof but longevity is not their forte and they are not very abrasion resistant. I guess it depends what you're intended usage is - if you're hunting and scratching around in the bush etc then you need something more robust. If it's just for wandering around in the snow and around a campsite, then North Face et al will be fine.

Cheers,

Andrew many thanks for your post and alerting me to the Harkila gear as i had never heard of them before now and it seems like they have some great stuff.

Where is the best place in the UK to get thier gear?

Don't know about the best place but I believe Sportsmans Gun Centre are stockist. I have bought Musto stuff from them and they've been good to deal with and competitive on price. But SGC have branches in Wales and in the South-west so nothing near London if you want to inspect before you buy.
I'm guessing that there are only a handful of Harkila stockists in the UK. Maybe Farlows in Pall Mall stock it so you can have a look beforehand?

Seeland stuff is also very good and is a bit more affordable - might be worth looking at too.

Im going to stand up for Barbour jackets.

They are designed for single job- working on the land. Not for walking in, climbing mountains, going sailing or anything else. They need regular waxing, and they aren't designed to keep you Hot. BUT if you regularly spend all day with livestock, or in rough ground, or beating a drive, then they can't be beaten.

Well cared for they are completely waterproof (more so than my very expensive north face berghaus jacket- currently have a "discussion" with north face and goretex about this), and very very hard wearing. I sold mine on ebay after about 12 years and it was still in reasonable condition.....

the other option is a Dryz-a-bone jacket- again waterproof, but not designed to keep you warm- henc you are supposed to wear lots of layers underneath.

wax jacketsa ren't designed to "wick" but they will absorb a lot of moisture, hence will need to be dried after use. They aren't a moden jacket you can just hang on a peg and forget about.

Back