Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Battery light comes on under acceleration

Toyota use lots of Nippon Denso parts. I bought a "genuine" Toyota rad that is also Nippon Denso.

Chris said:
I take it from that, that you didn't get your alternator tested as I suggested?

Not yet as i had not yet removed it and did not want to drive the car.

I plan on popping down on Saturday morning whilst waiting for the postman to arrive with my part (Fingers crossed) to have it checked out.

Just to update:

I have had my alternator tested and it would seem that its not putting out enough voltage.

I have phoned Nippon direct and a new alternator in exchange for mine is £130. So I have ordered one and will return the new Voltage regulator I have which has cost me £130 and be no worse off.

Will update when the new one arrives and is fitted.

The plot thickens.

Right the new regulator did not fix the problem, a new alternator has not fixed the problem as the battery light is still on. Could the car be that smart that its telling me my batteries are on there way out...surley not.

In the manual all it says is the light indicated batteries are discharging and drive to toyota.

Any other bright ideas as i went to my local tyre battery and exhaust place and the chap put a volt meter on the batteries with the car running and said nope they look ok.

I would think they should be able to test them under load?? Does Halfords do such a service?

If the battery and the alternator are ok, then you have either a bad ground (to the engine, most likely) or a faulty connection to the alternator.

halfords do have a drop-tester.

But, if the light comes on then it is not charging. Could the other end of the alternator cable be lose?

edit: uHu beat me

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For saftey i am not running anything electric in the car whilst driving but do have my doubts as to if they are ok. I have just called my local halfords and spoke to a very helpfull chap who said they can test the batteries under load aswell as each cell so will pop around tomorrow.

As said above could the 100 series be that smart that is will warn you if your batteries are on thier way out?

Will go and check the ground now.

I can rebuild an alternator but i dont know where the -Neg strap is on my car..... :think:

I take it that it must be from one of the batteries. Ill take a look.

It would be the negative cable coming off one of the batteries going on to the engine and/or chassis / body.
It'll be a heavy duty cable, running down to near the starter or somewhere onto the block.

On the HDJ100, the engine ground strap is close to the starboard engine mount, below and further towards the rear from the alternator, iirc :|

Aye Aye Captain I shall look down the Starboard side report back after a cup of tea in the galley :thumbup:

This is getting irritating.

New batteries, new alternator and Neg strap is good and still i have the battery light on???

Any new ideas welcome.

You've checked regulator as well I take it? And I assume also the alternator belt is tight and not slipping? And the alternator adjuster tensioner not worn and flexing?

Sorry - not got anything more 'positive' to add :lol:

Thanks ill double check it again but yes I replaced the VR in the old alternator which did not help. I then replaced the whole alternator but still the light was on. So next replaced the batteries and checked the negative from the engine block to the negative on the battery and its ok but the light is still on.

The 100 has 2 belts both V and both are good as you tension them by moving the alternator out with a bolt.

Not sure if this helps but when the problem started the battery light would only come on over a certain rev and then go when you took your foot off the accelerator but now it’s on permanently from start to turn off.

I am stumped. Ill post on the SA and AUS site and ask there along with Mud.

Loads of stuff on web about your symptoms - but you've probably covered them all off.

Are you 110% sure the alternator has not moved on the tensioner since you last checked, I.e. is the tensioning system doing its job properly?

It is with great satisfaction and relief that I can announce that I have solved the problem. :thumbup: :dance: It has taken me the best part of nearly 2 weeks and removing and installing an alternator 6 times before the solution was found.

I have spent just on £650 :evil: for new batteries and a new alternator along with a replacement voltage regulator for the old alternator to find that it was a 20p Fuse at fault!! :oops: :oops:

I never knew there was a 7.5amp alternator fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay but for whatever reason it was blown and having replaced it has solved the light on the dash.

I have learnt a lot about alternators and batteries so not all in vain but next time I would like to think I can solve the problem faster and without much hassle.

Yours embarrassingly :oops:

Warren (aka the electrically challenged) :whistle:

Back