Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bio Diesel

Julius

Hi all i would very much like to know if any one know if 120 LC from 2003 to 2009 can run on bio diesel oil. And if so how much blending is used or can it run on 100% bio diesel.?
best
Julius

My 100 series with denso fly-by wire DI pump has run for a number of years on 100% bio all year, also my common rail 2.4 alfa and other old bangers that i've had as run arounds.

I did have an issue some time back but it was due to poor fuel polishing.

Try the vegetableoildiesel.co.uk forum. There are experienced guys running brand new cars on the stuff.

That would be interesting - I've always heard that the D-4D shouldn't be run on anything but premium low-sulphur dino-juice. Not couldn't, just shouldn't. So it'll be good to get a definitive on this one!

Gary Stockton said:
That would be interesting - I've always heard that the D-4D shouldn't be run on anything but premium low-sulphur dino-juice. Not couldn't, just shouldn't. So it'll be good to get a definitive on this one!

Is the D-4D a direct or common rail system? Either way, so long as the bio is made to the right standards it would be fine! Thing is that most home brewers aren't rigorous to brew to high standards. It's easy to do once you know how!

D-4d is common rail high pressure system with finnicky injectors :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
D-4d is common rail high pressure system with finnicky injectors :lol:

There are guys on the vegeoildiesel.co.uk/forum using biodiesel in brand new cars and fairly late model BMW's etc. A guy came to seem my new plant recently who was using it on a 3.2CDI E class merc estate.

Bio gets blamed for problems, when from what I can tell, each time it's bad quality bio with poor or nonexistent final polishing / drying.

If you were uncertain, you could run a blend with 10 or 20% dino diesel.

Here's some idea of the sort of set up that you'd need to make good fuel:

from right to left, straining tanks, reactor with condenser, then water wash/dry/ drywash / centrifuge and final polishing / drying

IMG_1605.jpg

Dry wash
IMG_1609.jpg

Centrifuge gear pump
IMG_1610.jpg

I started with a branded processor, but soon found it's limitations and had to modify it. Got the tanks fabricated, but it took ages to figure out all of the plumbing, ball valves, pumps etc.

It's well worth putting a post up on the biodiesel forum. But good bio made from liquid vegetable oil (not solid) will have a viscosity only slightly higher than fossil diesel and if you cetane boost it, the engines ECU etc. will be getting what it expects.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a cool looking setup. I always thought it would be messy.

What would the [rough] cost be of starting a kit like that if you could build the tanks yourself?

Edit:
Just seen the other post: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=9675&start=70

Not sure! I paid for the fabrication on mine and some would say went over the top on spec. So my total costs come in at around £2K.

But if you worked on:

4 x 1" bsp m x m nipple for the bottom of the cones (tanks)
6 mtrs copper 22mm
about 10 1" ball valves (around £10 each - for decent ones)
10 mtrs of 1" spiral wire reinforced hose at £6 / mtr
2 mtrs of 1/2" spiral wire reinforced hose at £5 / mtr
10 1" tees all female (£4 each)
22mm compression ball valves x 8 at £8 each
4 x 3 kw immersion heaters at £14ea
4 x 50 litre / min pumps at £79 each
Centrifuge kit at £350
Dry wash tower (2nd had about £70 off fleebay)
Biodiesel polishing / drying pot £78
4 x temperature gauges £11 each
Level switch £10 for water wash tank
Spray nozzle for water washing £22
Water solenoid £10?
IP55 connection box with switch £15?
Flex x 12 metres
8 x 13 amp plugs

Plus your steel and welding consumables for welding the cones on. You'd also want some female threaded bosses welding on for your condesor take off at the top, temp gauges and feed to your diffusers or eductors etc.

I'm also putting

I think that would be basically it!

You'd need to make 3 x diffusers and a spray bar be able to bend copper and make a quad core condenser.

I don't think I've missed anything serious.

As for mess, the processor is sealed (no fumes / no mess). The straining tanks pump the dewatered and strained oil straight into the reactor, and the reactor pumps straight into the wash /dry / polisher. You could make a mess if you wanted to but it's not compulsory.

Back