Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bio fuel, good or bad?

mettisse

Supporter
Whilst driving in Germany recently, I had reason to stop and buy diesel, yep that’s usually the situation, so at the fuel pump I happened to look at the plastic holster where the nozzle sits on the pump. On closer investigation I saw that where a tiny drop of diesel had dripped from the nozzle, the plastic had reacted and bubbled and distorted. I’ve never noticed it before so yesterday when I filled up local to me here in Blighty I noticed the same distorted plastic. So, I ask, is it the diesel or the bio Causing the reaction? If it’s the bio we’re are in for a few problems in the future with the seals etc in the injection pump and other places in the system. Does anyone have an answer?
best regards, Bill Westley

With an educated guess, I'd say it's the Bio content. I've read on the interweb and past posts on here that the first use of bio diesel after years of pump DERV, "cleans" the fuel system and can lead to a blocked filter? What exactly is removed in the "clean" I'm not sure but if the Bio is aggressive enough to cause that then I can see it affecting materials not intended for long term exposure to it. Just a thought.

Didn't Top Gear take a diesel BMW around Silverstone running on biodiesel, and the fuel system started leaking because their version was so aggressive that it caused leaks throughout the system?

Bio content in diesel is not good for rubber seals/hoses, nor does it have the same lubrication properties

+1 I had to replace injection pump seals with Viton ones on a Mercedes that had been running on veg oil.

If they cant price us off the roads they will destroy our engines and make us pay for the privilege. Governments way of pushing electric cars. Same with the e5 /10 petrol farce.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back