Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bj40 engine issues :(

spackrackman

Hi all,

I was hoping my first post on this new forum was going to be a jolly one filled with pictures of my Bj40 and my Aluminum BJ40 project... but no...

today I went to dig out my trusty BJ40 that has stood for over year avoiding two winters and unfortunately one summer where I was getting married and never got the chance to pull her out of storage. Anyway this morning I filled it up with some new oil. Turned it over a few times and then fired her up.. After the usual smoke had cleared I left it ticking over... came back 20 mins later and all was quiet. I tried to turn it over and the starter could barely turn the 3litre engine over. It does move but only just. I am assuming we have a semi seized engine! I checked the oil and its still clean as a whistle.. Could I assume that the oil pump has emptied and not re-primed and thus I have ran a dry engine.

WHAT DO I DO...... I am hoping because the engine is a tough old girl that maybe I can pour some oil into the cylinders and let them soak? but still why did no oil circulate.

So advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Jonnie

Hi Jonnie,

I would suggest:
1 Put a socket on to the crank end bolt and with a breaker bar try to turn the engine over a few times. There will be resistance because of the compression but it should turn.
If it does - 2
Check the engine earth strap is intact and not loose/broken.
Check that fuel is reaching the engine - there should be a bleed nozzel near the filter - the flex pipe in the line can rot - inwards and it will look okay from the outside.

If it is the oil pump that's failed - it is most likely that it would be nipping up on the crank rather then the pistons so oil in the cylinders won't necessarily help.

May not be oil pump - could be the oil pressure relief valve stuck shut.. Did you notice oil pressure when you first started it? Were there any odd or unusual noises?
Was ther much fuel in tank? if not is fuel filter blocked? or tank vent blocked? Or air filter clogged?

As it's been stood for 2 years - has the battery got enough in it? Try switching headlights on and turning it over if they dim - check the state of the battery and the starter circuit wiring.

Cheers for now

Hi Rodger, thanks for the reply. I just popped into my local garage and pretty well said the same thing. Now that it is cool, I am going to try and turn it by hand. The battery was charged and has been while its been stood. Now reading what you said and what the garage said I realise that the pistons are not going to be the problem. Hopefully that as it was under no load while running thing should not be to bad. I am going to investigate where the oil pump is and try and find where the tightness is. Unfortunately the truck is up at my in-laws so I may try and tow it home this week so I can have my tools at hand.
May see you this weekend for a welcomed hand :).

Cheers
Jonnie

Time for some engine swapping

threebj40.jpg

I managed to get the one in the distance running and it sounded great so its going in my summer driver 40 until i get a chance to rebuild it.

DSC_0001.jpg

My Australian 40 with a now broken engine

DSC01488.jpg

Should keep me busy.... now I need to work out which bits are 12v and which are 24 and typically the Ozzy BJ has a slightly different manifold so I am either going to have to swap them also or the whole exhaust instead.

Hi Jonnie that not good hope you get it going ok good look with it get it up and runing.

I’d hope he has done in the last 9 years. Would be great to hear an update @spackrackman plus some photos of course. I dare say there’s been a lot of water under the bridge since.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back