Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boost setting?

Right disconnected turbo pressure thing.
got fuelling back to how I had it last just. When starting a puff of black smoke then it's clear, quick rev up to 2500rpm and it smokes again then clears so I think that will do for now lol leave it alone but I'll still get an egt gauge soon amongst other jobs to do. I took pics of air box as it sits and other vacuum pipes which have a prob with as disconnect them and doesn't do anything when go for a drive lol normal maybe?? Not sure

image.jpg

Right so the 2nd pic
The little white module thing what ever it is, should it be a one way thing?? What does it do exactly??

the little thing to the right of the boost diaphragm which goes to the middle tee piece what is that thing? What does it do?? As all the vacuum pipes blow but that one if I disconnect it and suck the pipe it moves the arm about 3mm , I disconnected it and drove it but doesn't have any affect on the engine while running or when driving??

Pic 3 is when I bypassed the pcs actuator valve thing by pushing the pipe back on to the return there fore just cutting it out. As when it was there had hardly no power atall as if the engine had no turbo , but once I bypassed it it ran better. Has any body else done the same thing ( Ben) what did you do as you've done same conversion so would be interested to see what you did...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Way out out my depth here because what your 2nd pic shows is not relevant to my truck but i think i am looking at the pressure sensor which i think should be connected by the vacuum lines to your pump , so when pressures up it pushes a diaphragm in the pump allowing more fuel in to keep the F/A/R balanced and if disconnecting them makes no difference there is your mid range problem .

I could be wrong i base this on tidbits i have read with little interest because i don't have a mechanical pump . I vaguely recall someone having power problems which resulted from a failed pump diaphragm . Worth asking google anyway i have no idea where i read it .

That air box looks the same size as mine if not a touch smaller .

Ok you might be on to something ther then shayne as if I disconnect the boost diaphragm then it drive the same and still reads 11 psi and reads 11psi Evan if it is connected. How could I check to see if it works or not? Take it apart??

The diaphragm will not effect boost pressure all it does is add fuel when your boosting , so if the diaphragm has failed your motor will be starved of fuel while under boost . Disconnecting it and finding no change is about as clear cut a diagnostic as you can get . I had the same headache until i moved my sensors (electric pump no vacuum lines) , its hard to explain how it feels its like you know the motor can give you more but something is holding it back .

I blocked that hose in the 3rd pic when you first mentioned it and it made no difference to my truck at all .

Last edited:
It probably only works if it's connected but not plugged in as it wouldn't be doing anything, so there fore it would make difference to you .
ok then I might take the lid off the boost compensator to see what I find... Lol

Its hard to make out what exactly you have done Craig. Is the clear pipe where you teed in the boost gauge?

Are you connecting into the small metal pipe that ends up by the oil filter? As that runs from the brake vacume pump. On the conversions Ive connected that to the 4x4 vacume feed. To run that....
I am sure that the feed to round one way valve "blows" as its from the turbo pressure in the manifold. So you run from the one way valve to the top of the fuel pump then the black tee is where the pipe that operates your turbo lights goes.

On pic 2 are you going from the black tee to the vac unit lower down on the pump? Cause normally doesn't need to be fitted to there.

Hard to see but theres 2 different circuits there..

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Yea the clear pipe is my boost gauge
the one way valve thing I can blow in and suck has no one way about it lol so i take it it doesn't work then...
Could the diaphragm be make red in boost compensator??

Yes that lower vac thing what does that do Iwan I'm unsure what that is as my dads kzj70 hasn't got that thing...? Shall I just cancell it out??

Found something interesting on a different forum about the red light my truck keeps getting also long bens ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 101
Turn the boost down to 9 and see if mid range feels any better , could be your truck is set up to limit fuel on over boost , mine is but 14psi is said to be when the fuel cuts .

That is how it is lol that's just boost gauge tee'd in as I took all the boost adjustor off because I thought it was causing the red light lol

No idea then , if i took my boost controller off i assume my boost would drop back to the factory setting of about 7 to 9 psi . Did you do the washer mod between actuator and bracket ?

Back