Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

boring tyres

G

Hi Guys
Just looking at the internet regarding tyres.
I currently run General AT2 285/75/16s and could not fault them at all.
But with Sterling as it is against the Euro I find I have to look, if just for a peek to see what I can save.
I know most would prefare the BF Goodridge ATs.
Are road tyres better than an AT for grip and stopping distance.
I dont know because I have not had to test either way.
Do you know of any places in the UK that are good value.
cheers
john 92HDJ 801HDT

John,
Road tyres are better than AT for road use, you get better grip and
therefore better stopping distance. Road tyres are also better on wet roads.
Most 4x4 owners fit AT tyres because they look better on the vehicle. Some
of us fit them for a more practical reason, such as towing a caravan off
road, or doing a bit of laning. BFG AT are a very good AT tyre, probably the
best, they also wear very well. There are other choices that are good enough
for most peoples everyday use. I had a set of foreign ones put on my wifes
cruiser a few months ago and I am impressed with their performance.
Like most things it all boils down to choice.
Regards,
Clive Marks
Home: +44 1293 514600
Mobile: +44 7821 491897
Crawley, West Sussex, UK.

A PS for JB !
I forgot to mention, and I think I have mentioned here before, that my better experiences with AT's on tarmac, especially in the wet, are those that have tread blocks that follow the circumference of the tyre in 4 or 5 bands. This is as opposed to those AT's that have the tread blocks that have an interlocking pattern and therefore no clear 'groove' round the tyre that channels road surface water and thus out through the gaps between the individual tread blocks. But of course, that is only my experience which has been in heavy mountain rains rather than more moderate stuff.
Cheers
Jon
Linslade, Beds

Jon
I should think the chunkier AT tread would do better than "road" tyres in even relatively shallow water.
I've had a couple of frightening moments on some of the more worn-out sections of the M5 down here when deep water has collected in the grooves left by lorries, and mine (on Dunlop Grand Treks, definitely road tyres) has become what I can only describe as "floaty" at motorway speeds.
I have to say that road tyres are completely useless on mud though. You just sit there and spin, and if you engage the diff-locks you just spin and slide sideways as well! I can't get anywhere in our fields from about October to March unless it freezes or there is a prolonged dry spell.
Christopher Bell
Sent: 19 December 2008 11:03
To: [Email address removed]
Subject: RE: [ELCO] boring tyres
A PS for JB !
=A0
I forgot to mention, and I think I have mentioned here before, that my better experiences with AT's on tarmac, especially in the wet, are those that have tread blocks that follow the circumference of the tyre in 4 or 5 bands. This is as opposed to those AT's that have the tread blocks that have an interlocking pattern and therefore no clear 'groove' round the tyre that channels road surface water and thus out through the gaps between the individual tread blocks.=A0 But of course, that is only my experience which has been in heavy mountain rains rather than more moderate stuff.
=A0
Cheers
=A0
Jon
Linslade, Beds

Back