Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake pedal response

Trevor

Country Flag
england
So I have had my LC4 for a few weeks now, everytime I brake I tend to have to pump the pedal once to get a "confident feel" and raise the travel on the pedal a bit.

This would suggest I probably need to break out the bleed bottle, 4 new discs and 2 new rear calipers done by the previous owner so just wanted to check if this is normal behaviour before I go through the bleeding routine.

Cheers for your advice

Trevor

Sounds like maybe the PO may not have finished the job off properly? Aybe the front pistons need work and one is stuck?

Cheers

Sounds like 1 front piston is seized.
The front passenger side is more prone than the drivers side.
On mine, the piston seized is passenger front, inboard piston, lower,,, if that makes sense.
There are 4 pistons per front calliper.
When 1 piston seizes, the opposing piston simply bends the disc a small amount.

This is one of the few 'flaws' in the land Cruiser.

I bought the refurb. kit.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Land-Cruis ... 48394ecdc9

Graham

The refurb kit looks like a way forward. This leads me onto the next query:-

1) Has anyone on the forum done this before and got photos and method?

2) Is there an alternative "Haynes" manual that covers the 120 that I should be buying?

Trevor

You can get a real Toyota kit from Ian Rubie (member here)
I had a pull to the side when I braked. After changing the rear pads and bleeding it all the pull was gone. It was suggested one of the rear pistons were seized but they looked fine. My pull to the side is back though :( Will have to look at the fronts.

Do you have an account for ToyoDIY.com? AFAIK, there is no Haynes type manual :(

I'm confident enough to remove the pads and take the caliper off the truck, what I haven't done before is to remove pistons and then put them back in again.

I am making some assumptions here but figure that once the pads are out, I can press the brake pedal and all 4 pistons will pop out of the housing?

Clean if needed, fit the new washer thingies, refit the rubber boot and push the pistons back into the housing after unscrewing the brake fluid filler cap?

Have a horrible feeling it's not that easy. :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure about the front brakes but the rear ones do just pop out after pumping the pedal. To put them back together is a bit of a faf with the rubber jacket that goes over them if you only have two hands. I found it much easier taking the caliper off and doing it on the kitchen table.

Back