Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Break liquid leak

Mtllandcruiser

Hi I am an owner of a landcruiser 60 1990 I belive. L6 4.0L EFI auto trans.

This winter I saw my brake light turn on, looked the break fluid and realized I was losing some. Bought some new fluid and poured in whenever needed. At the last storm the weather was bad and I had to break hard on few occasions.

My theory is that there was a small leak and with time It got bigger now the truck dosent even break even when I put new fluid. My dad was the vet with landcruisers but he passed away not long ago and I suck at mecanics. Its been laying around in my back yard for at least 4 months now and I really need to take care of it and it would break my hearth to just throw it at the scrapyard.

I have no clue where to start and what to look for apart the break lines and fluid...

When I changed my tires this winter, the guy told me there was oil or possibly break fluid on the rear/left tire, so this could be a head start.

master cylinder? Idont know, I needs some help.

Regards

Hi,
If the tyreman is right and your leak is in the rear left it is most probably the wheel cylinder. That's the bit that pushes the brake pads out against the drum and eventually stops you. Wheel cylinders are not dear but the drum will need to come off and the brakes will need bleeding afterwards.
If you are not mechanically adept you'd better find a mecahnic that you can trust - they don't run forever without a bit of TLC.

Cheers

Wheel cylinder

Hi,
If the tyreman is right and your leak is in the rear left it is most probably the wheel cylinder. That's the bit that pushes the brake pads out against the drum and eventually stops you. Wheel cylinders are not dear but the drum will need to come off and the brakes will need bleeding afterwards.
If you are not mechanically adept you'd better find a mecahnic that you can trust - they don't run forever without a bit of TLC.

Cheers

Hi mtl,

Rodger is right it's a wheel cylinder quite an easy job just done mine they only cost £15 each from motor factors but if you don't know what your doing you need to find yourself a mechanic should only take an hour for a mechanic.

Mike.

Back