Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Broken drivers door lock (key)

larryseaman

Country Flag
england
Hi all, unfortunately I've just had my Colorado 95 series broken into this evening (small theft) and had the drivers door key lock damaged. When I approached the car after the theft (no visible damage anywhere) the key slot looked to be tilted to the left about 15-20 degrees and the car was unlocked. I've since tested and the central locking still works and the passenger door lock works with a key, however on the drivers side the key will now only go in about half way and it won't turn at all. Any ideas please?

Bastards! I guess a new key barrel is the only way however in the mean time you should be able to lock and unlock using the rear door and passenger door.

I'm not sure i would fix it if i could still lock and unlock using the fob . If the same thief returns he will be defeated by his previous attempt .

I think only the drivers door key opens everything .

Thanks for your help Shayne and AdventureWagon, thankfully the passenger side door lock mechanism does lock the whole car, however my fob can be temperamental at times. If I was to pursue replacing the broken lock barrel, which I'm keen to do, does that mean I can still use the same key? (This is new to me!)
Also, how would I get hold of a new barrel; could it be second-hand or would it have to be from Toyota themselves?

Usually the barrel is matched to the key. Keys come with a 5 digit tag which is the key number. I'm unsure of the process but I guess if you supplied ownership documentation and the key number you could order a new matching barrel from Toyota.

Alternatively and likely cheaper an Auto locksmith would be a possibility as I am sure they would have all the barrels and wafers needed or know where to get them.

Cheapest of all would be to get a barrel and key from a wrecker but this would then use a different key to yours and you'll be carrying round 2 keys.

Can't hurt to ring an auto locksmith maybe they will give an indicative quote if you supply pictures.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks again AdventureWagon, I'll try to contact Toyota out of curiosity about getting a replacement barrel but, as you suggest I think it'll be costly!
I'm not sure I'll be able to get hold of a locksmith as I'm living in Zambia and it's hard enough getting hold of standard car parts & quality mechanics. Maybe I'll look into the wrecker option too....

If you have a key fob to unlock then you could just disconnect the barrel linkage inside the door and just not use that lock. You'll still have the passenger and back door for emergencies.

Back