Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Broken Longfield halfshaft

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
Like Rob, I also had a failure at Lincomb. Mine happened near the top of my hill. All was going well, low second, everything locked, full power - the same style that worked several times earlier. What was different was a set of holes I bounced through. On landing the shaft let go. I did not react quickly enough to back off a little.

The shaft snapped just where it enters the CV. The broken stub has pushed in a fair way while I was cleaning off the grease for the pictures. The break was at the step in the splines.

DSC00075Medium.jpg

DSC00076Medium.jpg

DSC00077Medium.jpg

I see you are after a halfshaft as well, is it the long one? I dont think i have ever heard of an 80 halfshaft snap only LRs. That looks like a clean overload failure at its weakest point.

Rob said:
I see you are after a halfshaft as well, is it the long one?

No it was the short one. Oddly Toyota list price is the same for the long and short shafts!!

Rob said:
That looks like a clean overload failure at its weakest point.

It was long overdue, those tyres put a huge strain on the drive train. Good news is the diff survived this time!

So the CV survived! Can you get the little stub of half shaft out of the CV?

I see that the half shaft was starting to twist judging by the line of the splines. I wonder what the other one looks like?

Are you replacing with OEM or Longfield again?

Cheers,

Is that an OEM shaft or Longfield? Were you a cheapskate or did you get the super set :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
Is that an OEM shaft or Longfield? Were you a cheapskate or did you get the super set :mrgreen:

Bloody cheek, it was the full super set!! The Longfield guarentee covers CVs and UJs not shafts :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
So the CV survived! Can you get the little stub of half shaft out of the CV?

I can not see how to get the stub out, it still has the clip on and without the weight of the rest of the shaft the drop it in a bit of tube trick will not work. The CV was clicking anyway so was due to be changed.

Andrew Prince said:
Are you replacing with OEM or Longfield again?

My initial impulse was go OEM but on reflection I think Longfields will be a better bet in the green car.

Ian

Sounds like Longfields are the way to go if OEM + cryo is more £££. I suspect that you'd need a boot full of Milner CVs in the green car to keep it going every outing :twisted:

As Jon said, it may have been a gradual failure - as I recall your description, there was no big bang - you just didn't have 4wd after a while :?: I would not be surprised if the other half-shaft is showing signs of twisting.

Cheers,

Ian Rubie said:
Bloody cheek, it was the full super set!!
:mrgreen:

Can't you take the cage out with the shaft missing and just knock it out the back? Otherwise, drill it, tap it, long bolt, nut plate and wind it out like that but you'll have to clean it up afterwards. They all click once they get a little bit of wear on them AFAIK so maybe it's not time to scrap it just yet?

EDIT: If you can't be bothered, send it to me to experiment with drilling ;)

I started looking at removing the snapped off shaft end and noticed the CV did not survive intact.

DSC00084Medium.jpg

There is a U shaped crack running from the narrow point by the ball down the splines and then back up to the neighbouring ball.

This is a good thing because Longfield do cover their CVs for life against breakage. Now to check the other side.

Ian

This is probably what happened to my Milners CV when the steering was binding.

What's the odds they say they've never seen one like that before :lol:

Ian Rubie said:
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":2vfanhqc]Is that an OEM shaft or Longfield? Were you a cheapskate or did you get the super set :mrgreen:

Bloody cheek, it was the full super set!! The Longfield guarentee covers CVs and UJs not shafts :([/quote:2vfanhqc]

is that right? cheeky buggers- they told me they guaranteed the whole set- seeing as Ashcroft guarantee BOTH halfshafts and CVs against failure (mention this as both longfield and ashcroft CVs/Shafts are made in the same US factory). No reason at all why the shafts shouldn't be warrantied.

Update - They are covering the shaft and the CV under warranty. I have to pay the shipping which is fair enough.

Ian

Result!! Well done! I'm sure it was the finest Rubie bargaining skills that won them over :cool:

Ian do I get a lifetime guarantee against breakage on my new CVs?

Andrew Prince said:
Result!! Well done! I'm sure it was the finest Rubie bargaining skills that won them over :cool:

There was no need for any bargaining, I sent them the photos and they said the bits were covered. I'm very impressed.

Rob said:
Ian do I get a lifetime guarantee against breakage on my new CVs?

If Toyota gave one then yes you would, unfortunately they don't.

Ian

One word of warning- neither ashcrofts nor Longfields will warrany against breakage caused by wear- so if your CVs have 30k miles on them, and then snap then they are very likely to refuse the claim. Mine were already wearing quite badly after 20k, so would think 30-40k would be a realistic level of abuse!

If you really really abuse them properly on offroad courses only (ie in challenges etc) then you may get far less than that!

Sorry Ian, I wasn't being serious, should of used a smiley ;)

Back