Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Burger King Withdraws

Dave Docwra

Campaigners have welcomed the decision by Burger King to pull out of a Government work experience scheme.

Is this good or bad, in what the Campaigners have achieved ?

It's a great idea in principle but the likeliest outcome is that part time workers will be seeing reduced hours as the unermployed are made to work their hours and the big companies increase profits by not having to pay a good number of their staff.

It's a small drop in the unemployment figures for no gain. It will lead to less tax paid by part timers, less money for those that want to work and your Bacon Double being served by someone with no training and less motivation.

Good idea, bad implementation. No great surprises there then.

The whole scheme is rediculous to start with. Minimum wage was introduced to stop large companies exploiting workers and forcing them into "slave labour". Its a major step backwards but sugar coated with the phrases like "work experience" and "back to work" it makes it all sound so much more acceptable. :x

Whats the difference between this and the YTS scheme of the late 70's.

With the YTS (Youth Training Scheme) you were at least earning a minimum amount (same as dole but £10 extra and fuel/travel expenses paid) and you also got a propper training up to NVQ standards. I was a YTS mechanic in the late 80s and early 90s and it set me up with a trade I could base my career around. The 2 companies I worked for while under the scheme both topped up the money to a reasonable level (most decent employers would).

The biggest differences between this farce and the YTS are that your not being paid and theres no formal training.

Back