Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying a 1999/petrol/manual - Gear stick feels a bit weird

ehestigoni

Country Flag
australia
Hey All,

Newbie here, need a little help.
I'm looking for a 100 series 1999, petrol, manual, and so far I've only driven 2 of these beasts.
Eexactly the same model/year/kms.
  • Car #1 is very well kept, looks awesome and has lpg fitted (just serviced for its 10 year since installed);
  • Car #2 is not as good, has a bit of rust here and there, some oil leaks, etc.

I reckon between these 2, I'm going for Car #1 even though it is a bit more expensive (AUD 14000 vs AUD 12000).

HOWEVER, there is one thing that kept me awake last night.
Shifting gears felt a lot more "accurate" on #2 than on #1. As if once it is on gear, it is nice and tight.

It's a bit hard to explain, but on #1, it is as if the stick could still move a bit side to side when gears are engaged. Not moving loose, but "softer" than car #2. In addition, the 3rd gear was not PERFECTLY "centered" and "sometimes" I had to shift the stick maybe 10mm from its resting position to the right before moving it up. Again, not much, but not as car #2.

I read a bit in several forums and could not find anything specific about this... Maybe because I'm not using the proper words to describe it, not sure.

Owner has had the car for 20 years, bought another brand new one and has a few more cars... A bit of a motor enthusiast :). And I kinda trusted the guy. But I'm just a terrible buyer lol...

I'm driving the car again on the next few days before making a decision.
Any advice? Apart from that, the car feels and looks great.

Thanks,
Eduardo.

Back