Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bye-bye fj

Now tapped. :)

I've only seen a few of them, in Hungary we saw two and one in Romania. They look like they ought to be normal family car sized from the pictures or st least Jeep Wranglerbut they're huge! I couldn't get over just how big they are.

Had to chuckle, the swan song version is going to be in a fetching shade of ………beige! Really Toyota!!

Last edited:
not as ugly as a 150 or 200series though

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It has to be a car designed purely for the Japanese market that's been trialled abroad. It's not to my taste but I have to say it looks better in the flesh as it were. Now the 200 I do like, especially when Iceland prepared. :icon-evil: :icon-biggrin:

The FJ Cruiser was originally a design concept vehicle paying homage to the FJ40 but the reaction of potential owners at the 2003 New York Auto Show persuaded Toyota to produce it in relatively small numbers. In North America it is classed as a 'mid' sized vehicle, although it is small in comparison with Tacomas, Rams,etc. The 'TRD' version/s are the most sought after but all of them seem to keep their value.
Personally I liked the fact that Toyota recognised their history and produced the FJ and it is far better looking than that new 'X' thing they showed recently as a concept 4x4.
If I were ever to replace my 40 with a Toyota manufactured in the 2000s - no contest it would be an FJ Cruiser. (BTW this will never happen!)
My son, who has been in Canada for 11 years, has been a Jeep guy but after years of bad experiences with them, last year bought a 4Runner, only because he couldn't find an FJ at the right money. The 4Runner is better, more reliable than the Jeep, but it isn't an FJ Cruiser.
Although I appreciate that the modern models are very capable, to me the FJ always looked like it could 'do the job' even though it was Prado based. I am not being detrimental to Prado but they have always been produced as 'lightweight' whereas 40,70,80 & 105 were produced as 'heavyweight'.

Regards,
Rodger

a0fa3a451b7a3e3ae2b3cba4ca840831.jpg

What's not to like when they are kitted out :D

According to Wikipedia the FJ sold 200 000 units in the us versus 20 000 200's in the same 7 year period

Ben, Don't mean to exclude the 60 series but it was introduced as the transition model from 'workhorse to RV' but it still retained many of the 'heavyweight' features!

Agree Roger although definately heavy duty just more friendly interior

View attachment 133040

What's not to like when they are kitted out :D

According to Wikipedia the FJ sold 200 000 units in the us versus 20 000 200's in the same 7 year period
Now that does look mighty purposeful. I'd happily drive that. In fact any FJ Cruiser I'd happily drive. As said, well done Toyota for going out on a limb and paying homage to the Cruisers roots. It's different. Different is good.

The FJ has been very popular in the US - specially in the southern states. And its been super reliable, spacious and capable. I'm guessing they were unable to really modernise it enough to keep it going - and the 'cruiser' brand in the US does not seem to be going anywhere in a rush.

I imagine the 4runner is doing very well at the moment, and T are just concentrating on that brand for now. the 3 way combo of the 4runner, tacoma and tundra are all over, in fairly large numbers.

The first is the same platform as a sSWB 120 petrol so they are part of the lighter weight side of the cruiser family.

I do love the look of them and given the chance would certainly put one on the drive

I Have seen this video (go to 1:42) by Andrew St Pierre White which given the topic of discussion on this thread I was reminded of, so linked here for all of you to enjoy ;)

Fun to drive and good off road. Seems he liked it

Very popular in the Middle-East too... youngsters mainly, with the means to...

Back