Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't lift rear seat

Andrew Brierley

Country Flag
england
Rear passenger seat tips forward OK, but I can't release the catch to lift the base. Has anyone experienced this before, and what was the resolution? How much of the seat will I need to dissassemble before I can get to the importants bits?

Have you tried pushing down on the seat at the same time? I've never come across that before tbh. If you don't have any joy go into the boot area and you should be able to see the grey plastic cover that covers the latch.you may be able to manually realise it with a screwdriver.

Karl

karl webster said:
Have you tried pushing down on the seat at the same time? I've never come across that before tbh. If you don't have any joy go into the boot area and you should be able to see the grey plastic cover that covers the latch.you may be able to manually realise it with a screwdriver.

Karl
Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight. I've pushed and pulled in every direction I can think of, but not actually sat in it. Hope it works, otherwise its quite a bit of work to remove the structure and dog guard in the rear :think:

Have a play with the seat tonight and let us know. If you have no joy i will have a look for you tomoz to see if i can find a way of doing it.

Unless someone else comes forward that has had the issue already.

karl

Thanks Karl, I have tried bouncing my (not inconsiderable) weight up and down on the seat, but no joy. I might be able to attack it with a screwdriver by lifting the other rear seat, even though I can't get from the back due to the guard. This will have to wait until I have a little more time at the weekend though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, I finally cracked it! Access from the front didn't provide any assistance, but I did make a little progress by tipping the other rear seat forwards. Finally had to dismantle the back-rest of the offending seat, by removing two bolts either side, and drilling out one of the screws. It was still an absolute pig, and turned out to be rusted solid - and must have been like this for many years. Even the retaining eye in the floor was badly rusted. How it could have got like this I have no idea, unless someone p****d themselves? Anyway, I'm now a self-proclaimed expert on rusted seats :clap:

Glad you got there andrew. I had never come across it before and ive had a couple of 80s.

Karl

Back