Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can't seem to find the coolant block drain valve.

Draft Horse

Country Flag
portugal
Hello guys!
I'm hoping I could find some wisdom on where is this darn plug for draining the coolant in the engine block itself!
I think I'm just being a blind dork and its right in front of my nose but I banged my head while laying underneath it and gave up for today. Anyway, i found on this site a service manual for the 90's series but, like the drain plug, can't see anywhere to click for downloading, ( 1KZ-TE engine repair manual - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] ). Most of the service manual out there in the web are behind paywalls or the sites don't work properly, and videos on YouTube have always something that is not the same on my engine.
But maybe some of you guys already know where this thing is and help me save allot of time and my sanity. The Cruiser is a 1997 Prado (KZJ95) with the 1KZ-TE engine (manual).
Any insight on this would be awesome. Thank you!

See attached, hopefully that helps. If you're just changing the fluid I'd just release the bottom hose and let it drain that way. If you want to take the plug out for another reason one of the pictures might help. Its a bit crap though!

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 214
I found it once only to learn it wasn't worth the effort for the few drips it releases , i just pull the bottom pipe off radiator

Its bronze i think so breaking it isn't much of a worry fact is its just a slow way to drop coolant and if you open it after pulling a pipe off the radiator you might fill a thimble with whats left . Can't remember if my original radiator had a drain tap on the bottom same as my new one but again its just a slower way to do the same as pulling the hose off .

Thank you all for replying!
I was looking in the general location for that plug, but it is either underneath the diesel fuel pump or hidden somewhere where i couldn't reach from underneath.
I was also looking for just removing the bottom radiator pipe and let it flush out, but my question is if the thermostat will just block the water from coming out since it is closed? I could remove the thermostat but it is also a bugger to reach it from what i can see

Attachments

• 20210505_125854.jpg
    20210505_125854.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 230
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Draw a line between pump and filter and the nut is there somewhere on the flat behind/alongside injector fuel pipes .

Thermostat won't matter when emptying but if you don't know how old it is then its worth putting a new one in just for peace of mind , its not as awkward to get at as it seems .

Draw a line between pump and filter and the nut is there somewhere on the flat behind/alongside injector fuel pipes .

Thermostat won't matter when emptying but if you don't know how old it is then its worth putting a new one in just for peace of mind , its not as awkward to get at as it seems .
Did you reach it from the top or from the bottom of the engine?

I can't actually remember but i think i removed the airbox pipe and did it from the top ?

Just had a quick look at my truck for you and the drain plug is pretty much inbetween the Y created by your injector fuel pipes , 13mm maybe .

I can't actually remember but i think i removed the airbox pipe and did it from the top ?

Just had a quick look at my truck for you and the drain plug is pretty much inbetween the Y created by your injector fuel pipes , 13mm maybe .
Thank you for taking the time and check that out for me!
I finally saw it, it is in a real awkward position to get the wrench in. I managed to put it like the photo i took, but the force required to snap it loose was way to much, I was afraid I could break the screw, and also because of the tight space I couldn't really wiggle myself into a good position or use a better tool. I have no idea why Toyota made the screw facing down instead of up.
It's just like you said already, maybe it's just not worth the hassle.
I ended up taking the bottom hose down and be done with it. Run it a few times with distilled water (radiator coolant wasn't even that bad) and now I will filled it a couple of times with the Toyota pink pre-mix to get the coolant concentration corrected, after I put in the new thermostat tomorrow.
Thank you all for the help.
Cheers!

Attachments

• 20210505_200029.jpg
    20210505_200029.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 231
Back