Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CAZ, LEZ and ULEZ in the UK

Sabilco13

Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

It is well known that our beloved LCs are older diesel cars which are relatively polluting, as a rule of thumb, they are expected to fail all emission zones if they are pre-Euro 6 diesels and pre Euro 4 petrols.

Is there anyone here considered or have retrofitted with a CVRAS (Clean Vehicle Retrofit Accreditation Scheme) approved system to any of their LCs in order to achieve equivalent emission targets and in- service performance equivalent to Euro VI/6 vehicles?

I am considering doing this in order to keep my LC in the road for many years to come. However, I do not know how much this may cost?

Any idea?

Thank you.

I think once the restrictions are in they'll just get tighter and tighter, id be weary of spending a fortune just to have the goalposts move again once you're finished.

Sort of is what it is tbh

I wouldn't bother TBH, the goalposts will keep moving as said above.

You'll be at the mercy of the whims of the policy makers. (Aren't we all!)

The only guaranteed way to future proof your LC is to convert it to electric at huge cost. There's an industry springing up in converting old vehicles but do you really want to drive such a vehicle? Battery and motor tech has come a long way in the last few years and is moving apace but for me the engine is part of the LC's appeal so they can get stuffed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good idea.
You will never be at the mercy of piss poor, unreliable infrastructure as it is at the moment, that they are not bothered with fixing.

I'm thinking of starting a GoFundMe page so I can raise money to pay my ULEZ tax. I'm hoping LC lovers from around the world can contribute to keeping a Land Cruiser presents in and around London.

Maybe they can do the road tax, insurance and new tyres etc too?

Classic cars are exempt from all ULEZ charges, according to HMRC, a ‘classic car’ is defined as a car that is older than 15 years with a value of £15,000 or more. This could be another way to get off the hook. However, DVLA only mentioned Historic (classic) vehicles as vehicle that were built or first registered more than 40 years ago.

We should learn from countries like Japan they let people keep their cars if the car’s muffler is equipped with a DPF (diesel particulate collection filter), to reduce PM and NOx, and pass the exhaust gas test (Japan it is subjected to a 13-mode diesel emission test)

Once the DPF is fitted with a chassis dynamometer at the Vehicle Inspection Association (VIA). The values tested for a LC were of CO (carbon monoxide), HC (hydrocarbon), NOx (nitrogen oxide), CO₂ (carbon dioxide) and PM (black smoke), and in the case of this (KB-HZJ73), which gross vehicle weight exceeds 2.5 tons, if NOx: 4.5g/kWm or PM: 0.09g/kWm or less, it can pass.

For this particular case the test results passed successfully with NOx: 4.023/kWm (88% of the standard value) and PM: 0.009kWm (10% of the standard value). The best part is that it seems that the driving experience, the output and torque have not changed, and apparently the power has increased with a slightly wild exhaust note. The best part is the DPF is basically maintenance-free.

The cost is around £8,000 I would pay that happily to keep driving my LC without restriction. Why the government cannot offer this type of solutions to the public?

Lots of horror stories around DPF's and them getting blocked. For this retrofit solution, how does the DPF burn off / regen?

Back