Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CB radio

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Just finished installing the CB I purchased last week: its a very basic one (TTI TCB-550) but came as kit with springy antenna etc. Mounted on roof rack and screwed the cb to the dash (we intend keeping it forever!) to make it easy to read and use. The only people I have heard are Spanish, Portuguese, and French truckers using the main road not too far from here. Mind you havent taken it out as waiting for a wheel stud set to arrive to replace a busted one before I go to UK next week!

Steve

I recently ordered a CB radio with antenna, etc. and it is due to arrive tomorrow. I'm unsure of how I'm going to install the antenna, however. I have a magnetic antenna that I will attach to the roof, but I'm not sure what to do with the coax cable (wire) from the antenna to the radio itself, which I'm probably going to mount under the dash on the passenger side. I'm worried I'll break something if I try to wire it through the interior side wall panels, but I also don't want to just have a free hanging visible wire in the interior of the car. What did you do with your antenna-radio connection?

Charles

Mine came with a mag base that I quickly removed as the roof rack has a mounting point at the front and back for an antenna. The cable ran below the rack (attached to it), down the snorkel, and in through the door upright at the top, then behind the dash to the radio. No drilling involved at all.
You need a roof rack and snorkel!
Steve

Mag mount, and a BNC connector just inside the rear door. Jump up on the rear bumper, drop the mag mount on the roof and then run the cable in between the door seals on the upper hatch.

I'm guessing there's not many underground car parks in the Dordogne, Steve?

Last edited:
One of my clients has one for 30 cars, but its so low, it woudnt go in without the roof rack! Don't go to the big cities very often, so we are OK! Its 2.2m without the antenna!
Steve

Just finished installing the CB I purchased last week: its a very basic one (TTI TCB-550) but came as kit with springy antenna etc. Mounted on roof rack and screwed the cb to the dash (we intend keeping it forever!) to make it easy to read and use. The only people I have heard are Spanish, Portuguese, and French truckers using the main road not too far from here. Mind you havent taken it out as waiting for a wheel stud set to arrive to replace a busted one before I go to UK next week!

Steve

top tip, make sure it's set to UK. mine came set to Europe, took me ages to work out why it wasn't working!!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I live in France, but all the way through last Novembers trip to UK and back, it was Jonny foreigner all the way - mainly hear Frenchies on a Sunday (hunt day) so I know its working, just no one around anymore :( I think there were more users when it was illegal! (showing my age now )

Steve

Back