Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CDL Locked and cant get it unlocked!

Jack one wheel up you should be able to turn it if it has a viscous coupling it will have some resistance but will stil turn then engage Centre diff lock or put it in low range if you don't have a button then try to spin the wheel you should hear a clunk then you shouldn't be able to spin the wheel then disengage the diff lock/put it in high range and try to spin the wheel again you should get another clunk and the wheel will spin it is also a good way to release a wound up diff if there is no loose ground and reversing isn't working

Hi Dellboy and others

Ok will try the one wheel up at a time and let u know. I take it this has to be done to all 4 wheels independently?

Thx
C

No just the one wheel, if it won't unlock after that there is likely something wrong with the actuator

No just the one wheel, if it won't unlock after that there is likely something wrong with the actuator

Hi

Have tried this and see my video clip from it. But basically regardless of H N or L positions the wheel only moves a tiny bit in either direction.

Just tried to upload a video clip but doesn't seem u can?

Gentlemen I really appreciate all the time and advice u have all given but the things I can do I have done with no luck. And the other things with the actuator is a bit too far above my skill set. So can someone please recommend a LC mechanic preferably in south London ( Surrey) area that I can have my car taken to?

Many thx

Craig

Hi Craig, for video you have to upload it elsewhere, youtube or photobucket, then click "media" on the post here and put the link to the video in.

I have an issue with my CDL, not sure it's locking (think the bulb has gone in the cluster too) the actuator sounds like it's working but had an issue on an extreme uphill lane in the Dales with one front wheel spinning stopping my advance, anyone know if this is normal/VC thing? The axle lockers wouldn't lock either, not sure if that's because the lights out effecting the circuit or something, had a right parlarver getting up the hill.

It is normal to have one wheel spin and for you to stop with the diff lock disengaged with it engaged you need a front and rear wheel spinning to stop you. do what I have said above just lift one wheel off the floor try to spin it then engage centre diff lock and try to spin it agin it shouldn't move you can't engage the axle lockers unless the cdl is engaged but I'm not sure if they would go off the sensor or if the dash bulb would stop them

Check your CDL fuse Pete. I borrowed mine for something and was surprised just what the truck got through before showing up any problem on an off road course.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got a bit nearer to nailing it down, swapped out the sensor switch, nope, did the wheel lift thing, no diff lock, can hear the actuator going in tho, got another transfer box/actuator will see what's what when the box comes out on Wed.

How on earth these things can go without any indication (until you need it with your rear wheel 10" from a 100ft drop) remains a mystery.

found the old actuator was seized (full of rust stains inside, looks like water got in thu the breather although it was dry) tested a new actuator, put that on, bolted everything back up, diff lock light came on when actuated, then wouldn't go off, difflock is not engaged either, ran out of time, thought the transfer box was going to explode on the way home, 5 miles after leaving Trevor I got horrid screaming noises for about another 5 miles before it stopped, looks like it's was spitting oil out too, tranny box is obviously fubar.

Back