Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

centre diff lock

All the diff lock lights should illuminate briefly when the key is turned to the 'ON' position.
Do you see any lights in that regard?

I pointed out once that the orange centre diff lock light did not illuminate when switching on the ignition (although the front and rear red ones did), l think this was at the time when the CDL was only activated by selecting low range, enquiries with other owners showed this to be quite common.

I cannot remember if the lack of the CDL test light was after I fitted the CFL switch?

Regards

Dave

I assume Toyota only eliminated the cdl switch on those cars that had a VC. That's why we have no switch in UK. May be unwise to disconnect 4WD in low range as the increased torque should be shared by 4 wheels to eliminate drive line damage.

I think the omission of the CDL switch on the dash was as much to do with correct functioning of the ABS as much as anything as ABS is disabled when the diff is locked. With no dash switch the CD cannot be locked in high range on the road and driven at speed with no active ABS. Obviously selecting low range severely limits top speed.

I think the omission of the CDL switch on the dash was as much to do with correct functioning of the ABS as much as anything as ABS is disabled when the diff is locked. With no dash switch the CD cannot be locked in high range on the road and driven at speed with no active ABS. Obviously selecting low range severely limits top speed.
I agree, but the enforcement of the CD when in LO hardly helps when trying to reverse a heavy trailer into a driveway, the tyres protesting on behalf of the driveline about the strain it is experiencing.

Interesting is the amount of plugs I find disconnected from the front diff locks on a few of the older 80's that had front and rear diff locks and CDL switch, the switches being used I am guessing as a lack of understanding of what the switches actually do?

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I pointed out once that the orange centre diff lock light did not illuminate when switching on the ignition (although the front and rear red ones did), l think this was at the time when the CDL was only activated by selecting low range, enquiries with other owners showed this to be quite common.

I cannot remember if the lack of the CDL test light was after I fitted the CFL switch?

Regards

Dave
You're right.
Checked it out on a trail run this weekend.
No CDL light at key on.
:thumbup:

I assume Toyota only eliminated the cdl switch on those cars that had a VC. That's why we have no switch in UK. May be unwise to disconnect 4WD in low range as the increased torque should be shared by 4 wheels to eliminate drive line damage.
Mine has the switch and a VC.
Great point about open center in LO, tho.

IME the switch alone does not enable a locked center in HI, thereby resulting in speeds above what LO allows w/o ABS.

That requires an additional modification which ensures one will be found at fault in the event of an on-road, at-speed accident.

IME the switch alone does not enable a locked center in HI, thereby resulting in speeds above what LO allows w/o ABS.

That requires an additional modification which ensures one will be found at fault in the event of an on-road, at-speed accident.

No additional mod required, the switch alone will lock the CDL in H or L range. The main reason I fitted one (and most owners I suspect) was to offer the choice of an open or locked diff in L range when the lock switch on the transfer case is disconnected. The ability to then use H with a locked diff is purely coincidental and rarely necessary on the road with a correctly functioning VC IMO.

Last edited:
Back