Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need serious advice with my centre diff

tom583

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys, having a serious issue with my centre diff, some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve recently bought a 1991 toyota 80 series Auto Fz-Fe. the previous owner has installed a part time kit and who knows what else.

No matter what I try I cannot get the centre diff to work, not lights come on at all and no actual diff locking.

My issue is that everything seems to be working and I have no clue what to try. I’ve confirmed the dash light works, i can hear the relay click and hear the actuator move for a couple seconds both when I click the centre diff button and when i change into 4L. I’ve also tested the sensors on the transfer case, one of them turns the dash light on when depressed, one of them makes the actuator move and the last one doesn’t seem to do anything so I’m assuming that’s the Neutral sensor? I’ve also jacked the car up and made sure the hubs lock at the front and the tail shaft moves.

I have no clue what the issue is and no idea what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Although I may be wrong as I don't know the setup but I can't think there will be a centre diff on a part time system.

Early 80 series LandCruisers in some markets were offered with an OEM part time 4wd system that did not have a CD. If part time 4wd is retro fitted to a full time vehicle the CD has to be modified or it will not work correctly. The CD lock button on the dash should then engage 4wd in the part time setup. Found this on the net......Part time 4wd kit
At a guess, If you can hear the 4wd actuator operating but there is still no drive to the front, there must be a fault with the transfer box.

Last edited:
Early 80 series LandCruisers in some markets were offered with an OEM part time 4wd system that did not have a CD. If part time 4wd is retro fitted to a full time vehicle the CD has to be modified or it will not work correctly. The CD lock button on the dash should then engage 4wd in the part time setup. Found this on the net......Part time 4wd kit
At a guess, If you can hear the 4wd actuator operating but there is still no drive to the front, there must be a fault with the transfer box
Yeah I’m hoping he hasn’t forgotten to put a gear back in or something, but I think it might be electrical related coz the dash light never comes on maybe a open circuit somewhere

Back