Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Centre difflock lamp

tonytone

Just a quicky from deepest morocco.

Difflock bulb seems to be out ,doesn't come on when ignition lamp check is on , engages fine as feel lock up on tarmac but front and rear diffs won't engage .

Any ideas, does it rely on the bulb to sense centre is engaged?

cheers

tony

not much help but could it be that the bulb is not fused, but rather that there is a broken wire somewhere which is affecting both? Isn't there a problem with the 80's actuator being exposed to damage? (Or was it a 90 - fading memory)

There is a sensor on the transfer box that detects when the centre diff has locked - that's what turns the light on and enables front & rear lockers to be used. I can't remember if the CDL light is supposed to come on with the ignition check, someone with an 80 will have to check for you. The switch on the transfer box can fail or become disconnected if someone has been fiddling under there?

My CDL switch failed (just before I sold the old beast) and I had to change it. The light didn't come on either with the ignition switch test run or when you switched the CDL in. Good check, if the front and rear diff locks work even though the bulb doesn't then it's the bulb. If the front and rear diff locks don't work then suspect the switch. It's a doddle to change, without jacking up the car can be done in less than 10 minutes, the switch is up at the top nearly on the drivers side of the transfer case and I seem to remember it is a 19mm nut on it, unplug, remove refit new and plug it in. I got a second hand one from Stef.

Thanks for the replies . Looks like it may be the cdl engage switch. Good news is that we are through the worst of the sand and feche feche so may have to wait untill return to spain .

but I may take it off tonight and see if I can fiddle it into submission.

thinking about it it di go kinda intermittent before it failed totally which would point at a faulty switch rather than a bulb which would just pop.

There is a thred of mine showing where it is.

I droped the gear box cross member to get at mine. There is 3 bolts to remove it.

Paul

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul_Humphreys said:
There is a thred of mine showing where it is.

I droped the gear box cross member to get at mine. There is 3 bolts to remove it.

Paul
That was to get at the actuator on yours Paul, tonytone will be able to get at the sensor without undoing anything else :)

Yep the switch is somewhat like an oil pressure switch, the whole thing screws in - think it is 19mm but may be 22 or 23 and even I with fairly big hands and not quite the dexterity I used to have years ago could get it out without even jacking the car up - and I'm not that slim either :lol: :lol: Plus I did it last winter when it was cold and nasty outside in November or December not long before I sold it.

Back