Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing to Super PollyPro Bushes

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Okay, so I've managed to get the old bushes out but, how the hell do you get the new Super PollyPro Bushes in.

I've been in the garage all afternoon and haven't managed to get even one in :(

Tried pressing them in with the vice and no joy, even tried a jubilee clip round the end to crush the lip but still no joy.

Heeeeelllllppppppp :(

How about washing up liquid, a length of threaded bar and couple of drilled steel plates (Used like washers)

It's what I have used in the past, not saying it's going to work for you.

haven't and don't know much about this but have you tried some sort of lubricant? washing up liquid seems like the safer option when compared to grease as you don't want the bushes coming out when in use...

Bottle jack under the truck with bush underneath jack to press it into the arm.

Thanks for the replies guys, both the inside of the arm and the bush are covered in White grease so it is slippy as a slippy thing.

The vice is man enough but when winding it up it just crushes the lip and I'm worried that if I carry on winding it will tear the lip and damage the new bush :?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine have only just been done, can always take some piccies if you need them

Paul said:
Mine have only just been done, can always take some piccies if you need them
Thanks Paul but I do have the right kit SPF0440K for the radius arm to chassis, and SPF0396K for the radius arm to axle.

That is what I ordered from *HERE* so I assume they are correct.

Yeeesssss, just managed to dot the one arm.

I will take the camera out to the garage tomorrow and post up a 'How it's done' tomorrow evening.

Been trawling all through the usual sites for tips but not much coming up.

hehe glad you are getting there...

they are indeed an arse to get in.... I had mine done and they took all day...

But you will feel the difference it's like a new vehicle....

TobyJug said:
hehe glad you are getting there...

they are indeed an arse to get in.... I had mine done and they took all day...

But you will feel the difference it's like a new vehicle....
Toby, it's good hear that it wasn't just me who struggled :D

What I did in the end was to get a piece of 10mm threaded bar and fabricate two 'washers' 65mm diameter 5mm thick with a 10mm hole in the center.

With the radius arms placed in the trusty Black & Decker work mate I placed the new bushes on top of the holes. Then placed one 'washer' under the radius arm and slid the threaded bar (with nut and washer on the end) up through it, placed the new bush on followed by the second 'washer'. Then wound the 'top nut' down until the bush entered the hole in the arm.

Said bushes invariably entered the hole on the pish so, it was a case on 'crushing' the other side with the big grips until it entered the hole squarely.

Once in the hole it was a case of winding the two nuts down until the bush was half way in. Then remove the incision tool and giving the bush a tap with a copper hammer. Due to the amount of White PTFE grease the bush then simply popped into place.

I will endeavor to take some 'on the job' shots tomorrow when I tackle the other side.

I have a friend with a garage and in it he has a 15 ton press, the little beggars just slide in gently on that ;) .

Many years ago I was doing the rear trunion bushes on a Triumph Vitesse 2 litre Mk2, the one with the Rotoflex axle, and it was being an arse so I nipped round to John's place and we had the pressure gauge showing just over 10 tons! - the wishbone was flexing and you could almost see the pivot bolt collapsing, but no movement. After the application of some heat (almost cherry red :shock: ) we sprayed some water on the bolt and it finally let go with an almighty bang! Scared the pants of us :lol:

Ordinary (red) Polybushes can be softened by dropping them into hot water, not sure about the Super Pollypros though.

Have you tried that ??

(It sounds as though you've got it sussed now :) )

Bob.

Back