Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Channel Tunnel 20 yrs old 01/12/1990

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
1 December 1990, Englishman Graham Fagg and Frenchman Phillippe Cozette broke through the service tunnel with the media watching, it certainly made traveling to the EU easier, but will it ever make any money?

And who still prefers the boat ?

There is something about catching the boat across, it feels like you are going on a holiday/trip, and you can have the big fat breakfast, however the train makes it so easy and quick so for me it's a no brainer. Used the train the last 5-6 times we have been across to Europe

Has it really been 20 years? how long has it actually been open for?

Train is too pricey. Also the fry-ups are great second breakfasts at 8am :thumbup:

Rob said:
Train is too pricey.

Isn't that what Tesco Vouchers are for???

Personnally I prefer the boat - but can't beat the speed and efficiency of the tunnel - when its working :?

Train all the time. I caught it going to Switzerland. 30 minutes and you there. Got the ferry back as the trains broke due to "Wrong type of snow" (Hope they ordered correct snow this year!). Ferry was over crowded, slow, noisy, nowhere to sit yudda yudda yudda :violin:
Train, return trip, booked 3 weeks in advance was £55. Ferry, booked the morning of travel from Switzerland, £50.

Train every time.

20 years?!

:occasion-birthdaymulticolor: Happy birthday Chunnel :occasion-birthdaymulticolor:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a major issue last time I used the train.

Following a last minute gearbox issue I had to take my other Cruiser to Libya. Not a problem except the stand in one did not have a long range fuel tank. Not ideal but solved with 8 jerry cans in the car.

No problems going out. On the return journey I got told that I was only allowed to carry 10 litres of fuel in cans in the car. I tried reasoning with them, apparently 160 litres in a single external tank is OK but 160 litres in 8 separate 20 litre cans is a fire risk :think: Their solution was for me to either leave the fuel and cans with them or take the ferry.

Seeing I was not going to win I pushed the issue further. I made the point that if a long range tank leaked they would have 160 litres on the floor of the train. If one of my cans leaked, the majority of it would soak into the carpet but at most they would have 20 litres on the floor. Still no go.

In the end I waited for Toby to catch me up, he was a few hours behind me on the road. We emptied all the cans into his long range tank and then got on the train without a problem.

Ian

I thought they didn't like fuel cans on the ferry's or is that only if they're on the outside? I can't use the tunnel till I have the red car back anyway because of the LPG :lol:

Either or, though prefer the ferry and a breakfast.
Jon, I used the tunnel around half a dozen times with LPG on my old Disco. Just never admitted it :shh:

Bat21 said:
but will it ever make any money?

And who still prefers the boat ?
No and no.

Although, now that HS1 is owned by a private company, (two Canadian pension funds), they will be encouraging as many trains as possible to come through the tunnel and cross their palm with silver to use their line. Plus now that Eurostar's monopoly for the passenger side of tunnel travel has ended, and on rail competition is coming, mainly from Deutsche Bahn, the number of trains coming through the tunnel should only increase over the coming years. So Euro Tunnel will soon have their best opportunity yet to make a profit. Only time will tell.

I personally prefer the train for it's speed, flexibility and we're not the biggest fans of a rough sea! If you book in advance the price is easier to swallow. Its also a good way to cross if your traveling with an animal, as you can stay with them in the vehicle during the 35min crossing. I'm not fussed that there isn't the time, or the on board facilities for a meal, I suppose the fact that the tunnel is only an hour and a quarter down the road for me may have some bearing on that, if you've already been on the road for a while in the UK you may well want a beverage or two.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I thought they didn't like fuel cans on the ferry's or is that only if they're on the outside?
I've carried an empty 20L jerry can on to ferries and the shuttle (train) with no problems, I think its down to luck of the drawer and how obvious it is. On the ferry it was inside the car, on the train it was mounted externally but on the rear of the vehicle, so they normally missed it till I'd passed.

Cheers,

Scott

Back