Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cleaning intake ports - which cylinders closed at TDC + 180 degrees

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
In the middle of cleaning my intake manifold and want to clean engine ports too, 1KD engine.

Can anyone tell me which cylinders are closed at TDC, 180 degrees, etc…

Also how many are closed / open at one time, I was assuming 2 are open + 2 are closed at any time but whilst searching YouTube I see some engines can have 3 closed + 1 open at same time.

1 lad on YouTube on a non Toyota engine said if remove the cam cover and whatever cam lobes are pointing upwards means the calves are closed on that cylinder, is this always the way for any engine? Can I use this method on my engine?

Any folks have any idea which valves / cylinder is closed on TDC?

I’d appreciate the info

Removing the valve/tappet cover and looking at the position of the cam lobes is a pretty much foolproof way of identifying which valves are closed irrespective of where the piston is. Obviously the piston(s) go through TDC twice with the valves closed at TDC on the compression stroke and the exhaust valve open (and possibly intake valve depending on overlap) atthe top of the exhaust stroke. Usually, when the TDC mark on the crank and the marks on the cam pulleys all line up it's at TDC on compression stroke for No.1 cylinder.

Removing the valve/tappet cover and looking at the position of the cam lobes is a pretty much foolproof way of identifying which valves are closed irrespective of where the piston is. Obviously the piston(s) go through TDC twice with the valves closed at TDC on the compression stroke and the exhaust valve open (and possibly intake valve depending on overlap) atthe top of the exhaust stroke. Usually, when the TDC mark on the crank and the marks on the cam pulleys all line up it's at TDC on compression stroke for No.1 cylinder.

Thanks for this reply, very helpful, just was a bit weary of carbon going into my cylinder so your confirmation of the cam lobes pointing up method reassured me to get stuck back in. I went and removed the cam cover and cleaned them. Very messy but done now, thank god.

If my cylinders are numbered 1 - 4 in series from the front grille to the bulk head then when I had it at TDC cylinder 1 cam lobes were in up position for the valves to be closed.

Back