Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clock and radio flashing

The drawing above is wrong Victor. If any of the three passenger doors are opened, there is 12v straight across the right hand of the pair of diodes which would immediately let the smoke out of the wires! It should show with its top common connection (ly) connected to the branch below it that connects to the courtesy lamp switches.

Anyway, your problem is common to the radio and the clock but can you tell me, when the clock flashed,
1, did any of the courtesy lights flash?
2, did the clock lose its memory?
3, is there another diagram in the book that shows the radio connection?
4, can you place a maximum load on your cigarette lighter and see if the fault recurs ?
5, did the radio lose its memory?
6, does your light reminder relay work?

These should help pinpoint it without you tearing the loom apart.

1, did any of the courtesy lights flash? No, they all kept still
2, did the clock lose its memory? Yes, it did lost the memory twice
3, is there another diagram in the book that shows the radio connection? Yes, attached
4, can you place a maximum load on your cigarette lighter and see if the fault recurs ? My cigarette lighter does not work since I bought the car 2 months ago.
5, did the radio lose its memory? Yes, it actually did
6, does your light reminder relay work? No, it has never worked

Radio.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to my world…:whistle:

Intermittent faults are the hardest to find.

I don't recognise that radio? Is it original? Have you had the radio out to check the wiring behind it?

This looks to me like a poor connection somewhere. Quite possibly a poor earth.

Yeah, I think it is original. The guy who I bought the car from was very conservative.

4, can you place a maximum load on your cigarette lighter and see if the fault recurs ? My cigarette lighter does not work since I bought the car 2 months ago.
This is probably a very stupid question, and more likely to be an earth problem, but do the symptoms show with the cigarette lighter out of its socket ? The only reason that I ask is that a few years ago I looked at a car with electrics problems for someone, and it turned out that he'd replaced the none working original lighter with one from another car. Still didn't work, but he'd left it in anyway. Surprisingly, problems sorted with it out.

I would have thought a dead short to earth would blow a fuse and give a constant fault. Or if no fuse involoved a wire would burn.

Hi Victor

A few years ago I experienced almost identical symptoms with my 80. It took me ages to trace the fault to a rotted sensor/switch (the push buttons operated by the door closing and opening) on my rear passenger door. As @frank rabbets has suggested I would look closely at all four of the door switches/sensors.

Byron

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
1, did any of the courtesy lights flash? No, they all kept still
2, did the clock lose its memory? Yes, it did lost the memory twice
3, is there another diagram in the book that shows the radio connection? Yes, attached
5, did the radio lose its memory? Yes, it actually did
6, does your light reminder relay work? No, it has never worked

View attachment 136381
All the above start to point to either Junction connector 3 both A and B contacts and to the earth behind the RHS kick panel as possibles. The earth is the easiest to get to so remove the kick panel by opening the door and lifting up the plastic moulding that is the threshold off the theee trim clip studs and the kick panel will come away with it. You should see the earth behind that. Failing that, J3 is worth a look.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Guys,

Thanks a lot for the messages! I didn't have any chance to have a look at it still. I will be off tomorrow and that will be the first thing to do in the morning.

However, thinking about what ByronJ said:
Hi Victor

A few years ago I experienced almost identical symptoms with my 80. It took me ages to trace the fault to a rotted sensor/switch (the push buttons operated by the door closing and opening) on my rear passenger door. As @frank rabbets has suggested I would look closely at all four of the door switches/sensors.

Byron

It makes sense, because it was when I smashed the door (Closing it) that everything started changing and the radio came back up suddenly.

I am trying to fix the courtesy lights switch, but some of them are so old that when I try to remove the wire connection, the plastic simply breaks into pieces. I will try to find some parts in the wreckers, if not I will buy new switches online.

I will post after having a look at it tomorrow.

This is probably a very stupid question, and more likely to be an earth problem, but do the symptoms show with the cigarette lighter out of its socket ? The only reason that I ask is that a few years ago I looked at a car with electrics problems for someone, and it turned out that he'd replaced the none working original lighter with one from another car. Still didn't work, but he'd left it in anyway. Surprisingly, problems sorted with it out.

I will also try to remove the cigarette lighter and find out why it does not work. As you guys mentioned, everything is pretty much connected together and when something fails, other parts can stop working.

Hi Guys,

My 80 series 1991 is giving me some headaches with electrical issues.

First the dome lights stopped working. After 3 days, I came back from work and all the inside lights were on (The car hasn't been used during this time).
But then, the radio stopped working. Every time I turn the key on, the clock and the radio flashes. Well, this is not all.
I figured that every time I change the dome lights switch to "OFF" or "ON" the radio and the clock goes off. And When I put the switch on "DOOR" it starts flashing again.

Yesterday night, the radio worked as soon as I turned the key on, but when I switch off and on again, it went back to flashing.

I have checked the fuses and replaced them, but nothing has changed. Everything else works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Are you sure its a landcruiser and not a landrover!

Okay guys,

Today I went to the wreckers, got some parts I needed for the car. Couple of door light courtesy switches, and a seat to get some material to fix my seat which is ripped.

I fixed all the courtesy lights in the car, took some apart and removed the rusty in it. Everything was fine! Even the freaking diff lock light in the dash was working! Radio, reading lights, side mirrors, everything!

Then, I said to myself. Lets put all the parts back together! How we say in Brazil (I was born there) " Joy is short-lived in a poor man's house" Or smth like that! hahahah
As soon as I start putting mu glove box back, I touched some wires (maybe there are 25 of them?) and click click click everything stopped working!
courtesy lights, reading lights, clock and radio.
Well, I know "where" the problem is, but not which cable. I reckon it is something that is going through the passenger door.

How can I find what it is? any easier way?

23379503_1765985693472602_564549951_o.jpg

First inspect for physical damage. If you can't find any, then you'll have to get your tester out and test each cable individually.

If you are moving something and causing the problem you are getting close. Have you located the junction connector 3? On the diagram for the 96 model it looks like it is located near the glove box.

Going back to what you moved to create the problem, try and isolate the section of loom you are moving and keep the rest still then move to another section and move that. I would be surprised if it was in the door but as has been said, lots of door opens and closes can cause fractures though this usually happens on the driver's door more than others.

There is no easier way, you have found the easy way, you've just got to work at it, narrow it down then investigate that area that you've narrowed it down to. Once you've narrowed it down you can start on each individual wire in the loom. Inspect, wiggle, move in isolation from the rest and be sure you are actually causing the problem not causing something else to move which causes the problem.

If you are moving something and causing the problem you are getting close. Have you located the junction connector 3? On the diagram for the 96 model it looks like it is located near the glove box.

Going back to what you moved to create the problem, try and isolate the section of loom you are moving and keep the rest still then move to another section and move that. I would be surprised if it was in the door but as has been said, lots of door opens and closes can cause fractures though this usually happens on the driver's door more than others.

There is no easier way, you have found the easy way, you've just got to work at it, narrow it down then investigate that area that you've narrowed it down to. Once you've narrowed it down you can start on each individual wire in the loom. Inspect, wiggle, move in isolation from the rest and be sure you are actually causing the problem not causing something else to move which causes the problem.

Starting NOW! hahahaha lets see if I can find it before the end of the year! hahahahh

maybe change the fuse even though it looks it ok. It's a strange place to get a short/break unless water has been running from the window and finding its way down to the footwell.

maybe change the fuse even though it looks it ok. It's a strange place to get a short/break unless water has been running from the window and finding its way down to the footwell.
This is why I suspect Junction connector 3 as it's under the dash.

Hi Guys,

I cannot really find the J3 conector. I found a similar one, but a bit bigger. I have tried my best to find out the issue, but my knowledge with electrical stuff is very short.

This are the ones I could find:

This one behind the fuse box in the drivers side.

23483151_1769127013158470_792921106_o.jpg

This one in the passenger side.

23469116_1769126989825139_1811676609_o.jpg

I am kind of losing my hopes and getting someone to have a look at it.

Sometimes when I am driving, I can see the clock flashing, but rarely occasions.

Back