Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clunk from the back when turning

zymjh

Country Flag
united_states
I have a curious issue that I just started trying to figure out. Maybe somebody has experienced this before.

There is a clunk from the back end, not so much of metal on metal, but more like something solid hitting something else that is solid. You can feel it as well as hear it. This happens only when turning corners and mostly on opposite corners. Like you take a left and then a right. Doesn't happen when taking a left and then another left unless there is at least a couple of blocks between the turns. I crawled under it and checked for loose bolts, sorry not much of a mechanic. After searching around the internet, I thought maybe something to do with the rear axle sliding back and forth, but there are no other driving issues.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Im thinking its on leaf springs at the rear (unless the us market had coils) Check the spring hangers/ Pins and Bushes. Make sure you got No broken springs, Check for broken U Bolts, That hold spring to axle basically, Sometimes you wont notice anything wrong by just looking or wiggling, Get in there with a big bar and start prying at stuff and look for movement........ Good luck Toyota 4x4 Land Cruisers - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Also check your drop links. I had a similar issue on the ol' Ford Focus which after much cawling around under the car and head scratching turned out to be a sheered drop link which was causing a knocking/groaning type noise on corners and bumps.

Just a thought....

Thanks for the replies, I will take a look as soon as I can. Lots of snow and no garage makes working on vehicles a little chilly :).

Back